Shotgun Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,329 Posts
I have used a 3" for a while and have been perfectly fine. To be perfectly honest with you, I really wouldn't mind using a 2 3/4 inch shell on turkey. I use 3" high velocity and the 1 3/4 ounces of shot will crush a turkey head and neck target. I use the 2 3/4 slugs for deer and they have more than enough knockdown power...I have never tried a 3.5 inch gun, but based on what my 2.75 and 3 inch shells can do, I really don't think you NEED to have one for geese, especially if you are using Hevi-Shot. -Matt Latham

· Registered
2,730 Posts
I have 3.5" mag 12 gage shotguns. Here's a bit of a blog on why 3.5's are useful--

The pre-1996 BPS was my first 3.5" waterfowl gun. It is front heavy and has a very long reach to the forearm--later models have been refined and are well balanced. This gun allowed me to have one gun to for waterfowl and to cope with steel shot only upland areas adjacent to wetlands. With one gun and two different shells (Fed 3" #3 for phesants and jump shooting ducks and 3.5" BB's) I was set for a day of hunting in an area where day's bag could include phesant, duck, and occasionally a goose. This synthetic stocked, hell-for-stout, gun is still my bad-weather, in-the marsh, beat-the briars-shotgun. It is still unbalanced--but shooting skeet with it has improved my shooting.

Last winter we shot some gulf coast geese with BB steel and then went to central Washington State for some greater Canadians. On this hunt, high winds, cold weather and snow made a week of hunting a challenge. Climate and large, winter feathered geese made the geese seem armored. Many of the misses were no doubt due to the long leads needed to connect on not decoying birds but the 3" Steel shooters were not having a good week--birds were getting hit, tipped and not even missing a beat of thier wings. 3.5 inch steel was not much better, a couple of birds--again cold, windy, weather and deeply feathered birds were a problem. There was no steel BBB or T to be had locally (sold out) so we were using the BB 3" and 3.5" that we'd used on the Gulf.

We finally gave up and drove to a larger town to find either larger steel or Heavishot. We found many boxes of #2 WW 3" Steel but only 30 rounds (3 boxes) of 12 ga. 3.5" #2 at about $1.50 per round. We blew the dust off bought the three boxes and got ready for the next morning.

There was quite a difference on the next morning's shoot 4 hunters sharing 2 12 3.5" pump guns and 30 shells were able effectively kill geese that we could not on the previous hunting day. I won't say that 3" Heavi #2's would not have killed the bird as they might have or had 3" BBB of T steel--but the ability of one gun to handle a selection of ammo helped here as did the extra, dense, shot the 3.5 #2 heavi put into the air. The same ugly, ill-balanced, BPS and a 3.5" Nova using #2 heavi were able to cope with high wind and thick winter plumage like nothing else at hand.

In that same week the 3.5" guns work fine with some ancient 2 3/4" #4 lead on late season phesants and managed to kill one Coyote that must have wanted a duck very badly.

My new gun--a Winchester X2 is a 3.5" 12 ga--better balanced, softer recoil--shoots everythng. I still think that one gun for off season practice and hunting is the way to make the best use of those expensive 3.5" shells--when you need to use them :)

· Registered
24 Posts
im only 14, 5'5 and 125 pounds and ive killed a turkey with my dads ultimag with federal #6 3 1/2in mags. you really dont feel the recoil when once you draw a bead on a gobbler. its really amazing. but try and shoot a coyote and you'll feel it more. its ironic.

G

·
You are all wuzzes. The 3 1/2 gun rules. The makers are not equivelent. Mossberg 835 is terrible, the gun is too light. The browning BPS is absolutely wonderful and so is the Beretta o/u.

What people need to understand is need to match the choke tube with the load. You cannot simply say one gun shoots better than another. When shooting steel shot for geese, you need a more open tube, possibly a modified or even a IC tube to pattern good, where if using heavy shot, you need to go back to the tight tube of lead days. If your shooting turkey, the right tube and more leads works best for the price. My beretta 3.5 12 places about 40 pellets in the head of a turkey at 50 yards with the entire load in a 24 inch circle. Another thing to consider is the load your shooting. Everyone is so fast happy now adays. I got people telling me my load is not fast enough, Funny, I never had a turkey duck my load yet.
The longest shot yet is 67 yards with 5 pellets found in the head.

If your into turkey hunting, look up web site "NITROAMMO". They sell absolutely wonderfull shells.

I shoot the nickel plated #6 shot, 2 5/8 oz load in my 12 ga. YESSS 2 5/8 oz. not a miss print. This load is >1200 ft/sec out of a 26 inch barrel,,,,,,,barrel length is another important thing when comparring load data. You should have at least a 26 inch barrel, which includes choke tube, for complete powder burn.

If your into 10 ga, you absolutely need to try their 3.0 ounce 10 gauge load which also goes >1200 ft/sec, knocks your socks off.

I use a 660 tube in my 12 ga. and a 680 in my 10 ga.

If you have a 12 ga 3 inch, try his 2 1/4 ounce nickel 6's with a 655 tube. My sons Rem wingmaster shoots the whole load into a 15 inch circle at 50 yards, you could almost miss the bird.

In any case.............its your decision,,,,,,,,,I also went through this a number of years ago. But I found that the mossberg 835 cannot handle the heavy loads as well. 8) 8)

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Again!!!!!!
A 20ga 2 3/4" 1oz #6 Hevi-Shot shell has more pellets in it than does a 12ga with 1 1/4oz of #2 steel, with the same range and energy. So why on earth would I pack one of those monsters around all day when my wippy lil 20ga will out shoot it.

tom

· Registered
1,154 Posts
But a 3.5 inch 12 gauge can safely push 1 9/16 OZ of #2 steel shot and thats 25 percent more pellets that your 20 gauge hevi shot and a lot cheaper.

Ahh and 2 1/4 oz of lead #5 shot is lovely for Turkey!

mcb

· Registered
348 Posts
The 3" vs the 3 1/2" debate will go on for time and memorial I have had a 3 1/2 870 I won at a DU meeting. I used it for one season and decided I wasn't hitting any more birds than I did with my 3" for waterfowl. I think I was taking more shots perhaps farther out thnking the about the difference between the two. I hunt with guys who swear by the 3 1/2, I also have decided it all depends on what you feel best shooting one guy is so good he could use a 410, the other is so bad he could use a puntgun and it wouldn't make any difference. The fact that 75% of my shotguns are 12ga and the 3 1/2 was kind of a maverick gauge for me to buy played into the fact. I traded it for a Browning Gold 12ga but I don't turkey hunt as much as others in the forum either. I'll say one thing in defense of the 3 1/2 man when you crunch em they drop like a rock there is no doubt about shot lethality.

· Registered
531 Posts
Sporting Clays Girl said:
Yes i am a WUSS. I got turkey hunting with 2 3/4 in an auto. But i'd like to see you guys girlfriends/wifes go huntin before you spout off about me not shooting 3 or 3 1/2" shells.HUH HUHI'm joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some guys think it's funny to let a lady or a kid shoot a light, hard kicking gun. All that does is turn them off quick. My wife uses a 20 GA; both a pump (Mossberg®), and a single shot (NEF®). It is more than enough for turkeys, small game, & birds. She handles the gun & recoil well.

Hell I guess I'm a wuss because I do ALL of my shotgunning with a 20GA too. Hard kicking guns are no fun.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Certainly I agree that giving a hard kicking gun to an unsuspecting shooter is mean and likely to turn them off but there ain't nothin' wrong with a hard kicking guns if you learn to shot them. My 130 lbs "girlfriend with two rings" shoots a light 6 1/4 lbs side by side and it doesn't seem to bother her whether she grabeds a box of my 7/8 oz skeet loads or my hot 1 1/8 SC loads. Now I did start here slow with a 22 lr and a 410 shotgun and worked her up to it. She has even shot my brother 7mm Ultra Mag. Recoil is a state of mind!

mcb

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.