Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a 35 year old MEC 600 Jr for free from a relative. Everything looks brand new on it, but, it's missing the manual and charge bar. I know that MEC has long since gone to bushings in their charge bars rather than buying separate bars. My question is can I substiture a brand new charge bar and use bushings? Or, do I need to scout around for the old style?

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
The new charge bars fit the older machines too.

However the Shot cavity is fixed on the new style bars. Only the powder side has bushings, so you need a bar for every different payload.

DLM

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
The new bars seemed to be just a fraction looser in my 30+ year old Jr. Might I suggest the powder baffle while your at it. On the Mec website also for like $6. It will help the powder charge stay more consistant and reduce excess powder transfer.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
I second the suggestion for the powder baffle. However, be sure to buy the Red Plastic PC powder baffle.. Do Not buy the metal baffle made by Multi Charge, as they are next to worthless.

THe PC baffle will help make your powder drops more consistant, completely stop powder migration at the charge bar, and make the charge bar operate smoother without the friction cause by the use of the standard Grommet/Brass washer arrangement. Well worth the $6.

DLM

·
Registered
44 Posts
I still load thousands of rounds a year on 600jr bought new

in 1969 by my father. Clean it, lube it, check the springs and wad finger.

Likely one of your relatives will be loading shells with it long after you are gone.

The MEC website has everything you need.

Get a scale and a loading manual......enjoy.

---Benjo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts