Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's not really not a bad idea when you think about it.It seems that the days when everybody used a short barrel skeet gun are in the past.I see lots of the big dog skeeters shooting long barreled guns now.As long as you have the original barrels your initial investment is safe.I've got a friend who is considering replacing his 28" barrel 3200 Skeet with a set of 30" barrels.He's going to look at tubing the gun which may or may not be feasable because of the barrel wall thickness.I myself am looking at an oversingle barrel for my 3200 trap gun.It's more about wanting it rather than needing it and I want it.
Lets face it.If this is what you want to do,go for it.Who really cares about recouping your investment when it comes to guns.The bottom line in shooting is that you SPEND money.You don't save it.
Dave

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I jumped up on the internet and found one of the straight stocked low rib (for a trap gun) 30" trap guns that has already been opened up to SK/IC. In my opinion darned near a perfect gun. The money isn't bad, only a few hundred more than just the fitted barrels and it looks like a beautiful gun. Twice now I've almost pulled out the credit card, but have shown extrordinary restraint.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the guy on the 3200. It was a beautiful gun, but it had not been back for the upgrades. Great gun, great wood, beautiful, as 3200's go, but not having the upgrades stopped me cold. I called Liab's about the upgrades, they will do them for $400.00. Not alot of money really, but abit to much for my tastes.

While talking with Pat and Tom I decided to go with the barrel upgrade to 30". They do an awful lot of work for the money they charge. New barrels fit to my action, choked any way I want, POI's adjusted to my liking, and since the barrels have been rattling around in factory boxes for more than 30 years, they will reblue them.

I just know I'll pick up a couple birds towards that first 100 straight .... even if I don't ...... who cares, my favorite gun will have 30" barrels, I'll have it all in my limited way. I can even pretend to be superior to the interchangeable choke tube guys. When they ask why I am sticking with an old fixed choke gun, I can step them back and proudly say, "I had these barrels specially fitted and choked for my gun and my gun only, its the way I want it to be." Then I can baffle them with bull, by saying something like, "a fixed choke has a superior pattern". Sure I know its all hype, but what the heck, you've gotta have fun where you can find it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts