Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
The supposed advantage of a 34 inch barrel is a smoother swing. But we all know that no matter what anybody says,,,,size really does matter,,,,and it's nice having longer barrels than the other boys.

The disadvantage of a 34 inch barrel would be that it wouldn't be as "handy" or as "quick" as a shorter barrel,,,,but a 32 inch barrel ain't exactly for shooting quail in the brush, either. :wink:

·
Registered
241 Posts
It very much depends on which gun it is. A big difference. Normally, I like a longer barrel. I bought a Cynergy Classic Custom 32" and thought it handled like a telephone pole. Sold after a thousand rounds. I thought it handled like a 20 pound sledge hammer. Recently shot an F3 for a round of sporting in 32" and loved the handling. Berettas handle well in the long barrels also.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
the barrel weight smooths out the swing, not the length itself. You can have 34" barrels that swing like a whip or swing like a log. If you are a two eyed shooter, the sight plane shouldn't be all that much a factor since you are looking more at the target than focusing down the rib of your barrels.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Over the years barrels have gone from 32" + to 25" and no back to 32"-34." In about 10 years someone will win a championship shoot with a short barrel and the pendulum will swing back to shorter barrels. I don't shoot competitively and prefer 28" barrels for upland hunting and 26" barrels for ducks and geese over decoys.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Virginian said:
Wake up -
2 to 4 inches more too long
Not 2" to 4" longer than a 32" barrel.
Touchy this morning aren't we. Get yourself another cup of coffee an relax a little, OK. 8) :D

Some of us like 32-34" barrels, myself included.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I prefer the longer barrels as well. The longer barrels balance a gun nicely (in my opinion) and make for a very smooth swing. They are also a real asset in the duck blind, as the muzzle blast is further away from your ears and noticeably quieter.

Why stop at 34"? I have a Hastings 36" on my Browning BPS and couldn't be happier :D

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
We can debate swing and weight and sight plane forever. Honestly, I don't think there is a significant advantage from one to the other. There are guys that will swear that the 34" is the best at long yardage. There are those that will swear that 26" is the best for crossing birds. Me? I like 32" single barrels and 30" O/U barrels. I think the 34" start to become a little unwieldy. Yet, I own two 34" Trap guns. Go figure. :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.