Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sanding on a new stock for my 1957 model 37 and need to get some dimensions as to the size at the butt plate. How tall by how wide at center. The previous owner put a (shudder) pistol grip on this old girl, so I have no old stock to measure from. It's a 12 ga. Once I get the specs I'll have this girl back to her former glory. Anybody wanna help me out here?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do not sand the stock to fit the butt plate dimensions you have. You fit the butt plate to the stock you have by sanding it to fit the stock. Do a web search on fitting butt plates, or go to Gunsmithing on this site and look there. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
T-bird:

Here are some dimensions from two pads that I've got:

Ithaca red "starburst" pad: 5 X 1 11/16th inches.

Vintage "Ithaca Gun" black hard rubber pad: 5 X 1 5/8th inches.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just what i was looking for! Just as I figured the buttplate I have is way too small. Thanks and happy holidays!

·
Registered
63 Posts
T-Bird:

I think (but can't prove) that stocks got shorter over the years and the buttplate length therefore also shrank. For example, I have a 37 stock from about 2000 or so that only measures right around 4 5/8ths by 1 5/8ths inches. Older 37s tend to have longer stocks IMO. I got a replacement pistol grip stock from Gunstocks, Inc. and it has about a 3/4" longer length of pull and the buttpads I mentioned in my last post fit it with little sanding. It seems to be made to look right on the older guns. I would check with a few other owners of older Ithacas just to make sure, but a buttpad 5" long for your gun sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. I just needed some rough measurements. Of course now I will fit it with a buttplate that is more appropriate. Once I have it in place then it's sand sand sand.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Now that I know what you were originally looking for here is the dimensions from my 1957 12ga Mod 37 Serial No. 677XXX with a Ithaca Sunburst Pad I added:

Measured on the wood where the pad meets, it's 4.500 long X 1.403 (1 13/32) wide. The sunburst pad is 1" long, and my LOP is 14 1/8".

I have extra butt plates in a box, but I'm not sure which one it was originally off the 57 year manufactured to give you an exact measurement. I hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts