Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back Friday after 2.5 weeks in SD with some other retired Military guys for our annual Veterans Day hunt, took three 37's with me this year. 49 16 ga. choked IC, and Ohio made 12 ga. guns 26" Ultralight for phez. and Field in 30" and AAA wood for waterfowl.

Never got cold enough in Canada for the ducks to move South so waterfowl was a bust, tried a few mornings but nothing. Started off hunting phez with the 16 ga. and IC but after a few days moved to the 12 ga. Ultralight for heavier payload and tighter chokes. The 16 did work well on closer birds the first few days but fell a bit short on the longer flushes. Spring hail and summer drought really put a hurting on the bird numbers but we found them from time to time.

The pup turned 2 yesterday and his development has been more than I could hope for, he is a bonafide pheasant dog now.

Wish I had some better pics other than the Ithaca lettering on the butt cap, next year I will. When most of those around me had black synthetic autos shooting anti aircraft rounds it was nice to carry and shoot the 37's. And I didn't give up a thing to any of the others.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt you certainly do and look forward to it! Need to show these kids that you don't have to carry one of those new black plastic guns to shoot birds :D

EricB said:
Nice bunch of birds! What kind of dog is that, the reddish one with the white markings?
Thanks! Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever or Toller for short, they were breed a couple hundred years ago to look like a red fox and Toll ducks. I've been around the breed for ~30 years now. My first Toller the black nose in my avatar sitting in an empty 12 lb. keg of Red Dot gunpowder came from Cayuga Kennels on the banks of Lake Cayuga, appropriately enough for someone that carries Ithaca shotguns. My youngest came from ND from a breeder I know that breeds them for hunting. They are a handful and a working dog so always need a job. They make great upland dogs too and the young pup started off on ruff grouse and has that job down well also.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I'm going to look into the breed. I will be (finally) replacing my Golden Retriever next year; my wife just know it yet. Great looking 37 by the way.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EricB said:
I'm going to look into the breed. I will be (finally) replacing my Golden Retriever next year; my wife just know it yet. Great looking 37 by the way.
Thanks that is a 1949 16 ga. that I refinished the wood and is now my main ruff grouse gun. Need to find a 37 28" Mod. 16 ga. for pheasants to go with it now LOL.

Laurie at Skylark Kennels is where my young pup came from and she used to raise Golden's before Tollers. She has a good article on the differences here http://www.skylarktollers.com/updatedwebpage/TollerVSGoldex.html

Tollers can be hard to come by until you have one and get to know the breeders. And once they became AKC registered some breeders aren't as interested in the hunting aspect any more. However if you tell Laurie you want a hunter you go to the top of the list. And if she has a breeding that she feels is more show oriented than hunting she will tell you up front. Great place to start IME.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I've been reading about the breed and discussing with family. Looks like a roller will be the next member of the family. Just need to check on costs and see if it's in the budget to buy and maintain another dog. Then I'll contact Skylark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.