Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as the title states I am coming to the shotgun world a little late in life. I am coming from the archery world and looking for my first shotgun. Primary uses will be having fun shooting clay's, skeet, an occasional small bird or duck hunt. I am looking for something that is well made and will hold up for years. I am trying to decide between a semi auto or over under. I was leaning towards a 12 GA. My budget is around $600.

The semi autos I was thinking about were the Mossberg 930, and Beretta A300, but am open to suggestions.

The over unders I am considering are the Yildiz SPZ ME, and the American Tactical Imports Cavalry SV, but again am open to suggestions. I am a little suspicious of both of these since they seem to have mixed reviews and considered budget OV's.

Should I consider pumps as well?

If I am being honest with my self, I have 2 young kids so I'll probably only get a chance to shoot once a month at most.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,667 Posts
Beretta. The rest are junk.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
I'll third the suggestion of the Beretta. Don't go near an O/U at that price point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Take a look at a used Beretta AL391 semi auto. 28" barrel. Awesome value and excellent quality. I own two of them. Should be able to find one in the $800 to $900 range. I just started shooting two years ago and am a lot older than you! You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
23,202 Posts
The Mossberg 930, the Weatherby SA-08, and the Yildiz SPZ-ME are all good guns, I have all of them, and have had no issues whatsoever. I'm not a Beretta fan, (they just don't fit me) they are good guns, just not for me. If you have the opportunity to handle them, buy the one that fits and feels the best to you.

cdb

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Go to any well stocked shop.

The best value in shotguns is a brand new Remington 870 Express 12 gauge shotgun with a 28" barrel.

They cost about $350 brand new.

They handle, shoot, and point just about as well as any shotgun at any price.

You'll need to buy all the stuff to shoot the thing, too. Hearing protection, shooting vest, cheap soft case, cleaning rod kit, improved cylinder choke tube, and lots of shotgun shells. Make sure and buy a Remington Super Cell Recoil pad and throw the one that is on your gun in the trash or give it somebody you don't like very much.

Now, at first you'll be a miserably poor shot but in less than one month anyone who's skilled with bows and arrows can jump over to shotguns.

You'll need all your $600 to get set up with the 870.

You can't learn to shoot in one day, but if you can shoot with a party of experienced shots it takes four outings shooting fifty targets each time--with some space between outings--and you'll be counting your misses instead of counting your hits.

The shotgun is the least important thing in learning to shoot a shotgun.

If you like your new hobby, in a year or two you'll buy a brand new Beretta or Browning over and under for nearly two thousand dollars--because they are the guns the hard bitten shotgun addicts always wind up with.

But, every shotgun that costs more than a brand new 870 Remington Express is a pure luxury and won't add a thing to your scores.

If you have $600 for the cheap plastic Beretta auto loader, buy one.

But after you learn to shoot, a pump and an auto are all the same shooting guns, except an auto spits shells over the ground and kicks a bit less.

I shot a 25 and a 23 last night with a Model 12 pump.

The two I missed weren't because it was a pump and not some other gun.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not sure what your budget is but the sa08, Tristar viper, Cz autoloaders are good values with the weatherby the most expensive in my list of value guns. There is always a used Remington 1100 or browning auto 5. Pick a budget, fondle a lot of guns try to shoot as many as you can. The 870 or Winchester 1200, sxp or sx3 are nice but forgotten guns as well. My son has a Winchester 1200 and it's a real nice gun.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Correct, depending on your budget will allow you to get the best gun for the $. I got my wife the Beretta but I would also look at the Benelli sporting gun as well. For the price of those guns new you could find yourself a nice used OU. Most guns in general aren't shot much unless you get it from someone who has the addiction. Fit followed by budget and fit is important. Go to your local club and see if they have any demo guns. Take the gun and go to the pattern board, this will tell you a great deal about the gun it will also serve to educate you on shot pattern. Take your time there is no rush, I also came from an archery background but I got this addiction at 58.
Enjoy yourself

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Stay away from over/unders in this price range. It is kind of counter intuitive, but the less you shoot the more reliable you want your gun to be. You don't want to miss your fairly rare opportunities because of a broken gun. I would recommend you check the guns that Randy Wakeman recommends. I don't own any of them, but he has shot and tested them all and I think that is a great place to start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all the great feedback. Budget will be around $600 I think for the shotgun. I need to sell my archery gear first.

I like the idea of the 870 Wingmaster due to it's reputation of being quality built, but I think would prefer a semi-auto. I will probably hold on to whichever gun I purchase for sometime so quality is important to me.

Should I be considering a 20 GA over the 12? Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.