Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting a 390 for a number of years for comp. sporting clays....was even a state champ one year. Now I'd like to convert it to a tactical/home defense gun but can't seem to fine short barrel. Have been told that cutting my 29 inch down may adversely affect reliability. Suggestions please?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey everyone!

I realize that I'm new here and that there may be a sort of clique....but I have a hard time believing that no one knows anything about my post. I'm just asking for some help/information. I find it hard to believe on the "tactical" forum that 63 members have read my question with not even a single response. If I've somehow crossed a boundary or not been clear in my inquiry; please let me know. Thanks again. :D

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Have you asked in the Beretta forum?

They may have a better understanding of the gun and how cutting/installing a shorter barrel will affect cycling. I, for one, don't posess the required expertise to answer your question intelligently.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What I can tell you about Beretta is they won't have a short barrel from the factory. Beretta does not make a 'tactical' shotgun. If you really want to do this, you'll have to cut down an existing barrel.

As to your question about cycling, I can only provide my personal experience with another gun. My Mossberg 930 will cycle my 7/8oz reloads with the 28" barrel on it. If I swap to the 18" barrel, it won't even eject. My Beretta 3901 also cycles the reloads, and it has a 28" barrel.

Noting the similarities between the gas systems on these guns, I would say that my Beretta would have a hard time cycling with an 18" barrel, unless they were 1oz or more, 1200fps or more.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
269 Posts
One more thing I should mention. With the price of 390 barrels I see on gunbroker ($357?!), plus the cost of a gunsmith cutting the thing down, you'd be better off starting from another platform. The Mossbergs and Remingtons are a good start, and probably come the way you want them right from the factory.

My 3901 is for sale, by the way :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a 28" barrel cut down to 18.5" for my 391 a while back. Like the OP, I also wanted to "tactify" my Beretta semi-auto.

With the shorter barrel the gun functioned OK with REALLY heavy loads, but standard and lighter loads would not cycle the action. I tried using a lighter recoil spring and even had the gas-ports on the barrel enlarged to rectify the functioning issues, to no avail.

The barrel was NIB and cost me alot of money to buy and have shortened and modified. It was a very expensive experiment that unfortunately did not work out. My advice to the OP is that he not bother making the same mistake as I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you all for your input. i'm beginning to think that I'm barking up the wrong tree. I wanted to use my 390 because I'm so familiar with it and because it "fits" me. However, given your input; I may need to re-think. I really do appreciate your thoughts. :wink: All other ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
gallonoffuel said:
What I can tell you about Beretta is they won't have a short barrel from the factory. Beretta does not make a 'tactical' shotgun. If you really want to do this, you'll have to cut down an existing barrel.
Cough, cough, Beretta 1201FP, cough. :wink:

The 1201 and the 390 look very similar. If you can't find a barrel or aren't willing to have one cut down, then the 1201FP might be a viable alternative for you. I suspect the manual of arm is near identical.

Heck, the barrels might be interchangable..... :D

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
OK, I did a little poking around. The 1201FP barrels and the 390 barrels are NOT interchangable. the two gun use two different operating systems. The 390 is gas operated while the 1201FP is inertia operated ala the Benelli M1. :?

At this point, I suspect your best bet would be to contact a reputable Beretta gunsmith and see about getting the barrel cut back.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good call on the 1201FP. It's no longer made though, correct? It's essentially the predecessor to the M1S90, from what I recall. Beretta's parent corp owns Benelli, Franchi, etc.

To the OP: Noting shot4brains experience in this area, I think you have your answer. Now the question is where to go from here. The Basement has a myriad of threads on turning standard field pieces into slick, smooth, and beautiful HD weapons. I'd be browsing the gun shows and local shops to find a bargain on a known semi-auto platform, and take the time to do it up nice. The friendly folks here are more than willing to steer you in the right direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts