Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 391 12ga Urika Field. Back when so many had the carrier problem with fail to feeds I did too.
Sent the gun to Bolsa, Beretta's West coast repair station, for repair.
They drilled out the gas ports instead of changing the carrier. :? :oops:
It still had fail to feed and was sent back. They finally changed the carrier and all works well.
It flung those empties into tomorrow. :roll:
Bought the Cole spring kit to keep from battering the receiver and all is well. :wink:
That was clay shooting;
My question is......
Now that waterfowl season is here, what will happen when I shoot 3" mags with the larger ports :?:

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Couldn't you still incorporate the spring kit into the mix, try the lightest spring with a 3"?

Now, I think that is right, I've only seen inside of a couple of 391's, pretty sure the lighter it is the more gas is exhausted.

·
Premium Member
20,277 Posts
TexasTon said:
Couldn't you still incorporate the spring kit into the mix, try the lightest spring with a 3"?

Now, I think that is right, I've only seen inside of a couple of 391's, pretty sure the lighter it is the more gas is exhausted.
Yep, that's right. The spring is what holds the plate over the holes where the extra gas is vented. A strong spring will hold the plate tight against the holes, thereby utilizing all the gas to cycle the action. You would want to use a strong spring for light shells.

A weak spring will open easily and let gas out. You want to use the weak spring when shooting heavy loads so that the plate will uncover the holes and let out some of the excess gas. No need to beat up your gun needlessly. Use a light spring with heavy loads.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys:
I already have the lightest spring from Cole's in my gun now. With light target loads I am getting 6-8' ejection. Remember I said the ports in the barrel were bored out larger by Bolsa, Beretta repair West coast, before they replaced the carrier. I believe they thought boring out the gas ports would fix my fail to feeds.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Randy, you might ask Coles if they have a lighter option, I hate it when a supposed smith "fixes" a FTE with a drill bit :? :x

It's fairly tedious, but those hogged out ports and be bushed and redrilled, just takes a little time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.