Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first I do not own a semi auto shotgun. so in my looking I can across this gun. in 12ga 30inch barrel with 3 choke tubes. I would use it for sporting clays. is this gun going to be good for clays. and what is a good used price for the Teknys?

·
Registered
20,545 Posts
migunshooter said:
first I do not own a semi auto shotgun. so in my looking I can across this gun. in 12ga 30inch barrel with 3 choke tubes. I would use it for sporting clays. is this gun going to be good for clays. and what is a good used price for the Teknys?
It's an excellent gun for sporting clays. Used prices depend mostly on condition and to a lesser extent on modifications and accessories..... assuming that the modifications don't DETRACT from the value which is possible.

Ballpark figure would be about $1,000 to $1,250 for gun in good condition with only very minor visible wear.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
With only three chokes I would deduct $$. Make sure for $1000 you are getting all the shims, pads, tools and Beretta case. Most I have seen have the straight carrier. That needs to be replaced with the bent carrier. I've had 2. After replacing the carrier and trigger work they were good guns. A Briley bolt closer is also a good investment. In my area your looking at $800-1000 for that gun if its the Gold model. Target model a little more. You didn't mention which model the gun is. Teknys came in Gold,Target,Field and King Ranch models.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how can you tell the models apart. the one I found is nickel receiver with blue accents extended chokes and a illuminated front tube sight(not sure if it is factory) the wood looks clean as does the barrel. it sounds like $850 is where I should be at for a price? It0026 is that the 390 carrier? and what trigger work needs to be done? if I get it I will just do all the mods to make it reliable I have read to remove the recoil reducer would you agree?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
You have either a Gold or Target model. Target model has two removable ribs,balance system and adjustable comb. If you don't have the above its a Gold model. $850 is a fair price for a private face to face sale. Have Coles do your carrier and trigger work. To remove the Beretta recoil reducer just take off the butt stock. It slides right out. You may not need the modifications once you know the history of the gun. They may be done already. http://www.colegun.com/

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
migunshooter said:
what kind of trigger work are you talking? just the polish and adjust or something more?
To some people, a shotgun trigger should be exactly the right pull weight and feel like a bench rest rifle. To others, it doesn't matter, because a shotgun trigger is jerked or slapped, not released gently like a target gun.

If the trigger of your gun bothers you, get it tuned up. If it doesn't, don't.

I have never needed to get any of my Beretta triggers tuned up.

Replacement of the carrier with a 390 carrier prevents the characteristic twisted-carrier jam. Not all of them have that problem. You can get it done now as a preventive measure, or you can wait and see if you need it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
great gun, I had the target model with the removeable rib, I earned my first punches with that gun, it swung nice, was well balanced, and when I did my part, it crushed targets.

Enjoy and congrats!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Ulysses wrote:
It's an excellent gun for sporting clays.

+1

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I am not sure I didnt ask. I saw the gun on the rack and looked at it. thats as far as I got. I really had no interest in buying it. I do like 391 and would buy another one for a good price. Just not a fan of the teknys. Strictly cosmetic reasons only.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.