Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a sem-automatic shot gun. I shoot mostly trap with either Winchester Target Loads or Federals 3drams, 7.5 or 8 shot size. What are the differences between 391 Urika and 391 Sporting (both 12ga, 30" barrel, 2 and 3/4 shell) Any feedback, experiences are appreciated. How reliable are the 391 are are they picky about ammo? Any problems, jammings? Ect. Can they alse be used for seet, or wild game? Can you fire slugs through them?
I'm also looking at Remington 1100 Classic Trap. I will be purchasing new shot gun in near future.
Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I have a 391 Urika and a 391 Urika Sporting. Both are several years old, so the specs may have changed a little.

The only differences I can see are
1. The Sporting has a wider rib.
2. The Sporting has a mid-rib bead
3. The Sporting has a bigger stock - it is both thicker from side-to-side and deeper from heel to toe. Otherwise, it is the same. I need a lot of cast in my stock, and I can't get enough cast in the Sporting, even with the same shim in place, because of the thickness.
4. The Sporting is a little heavier, probably because of items 1 and 3. It is balanced better (IMHO) because of the heavier stock. To me, the Urika is a little bit nose-heavy, but a lot of people like them that way.

IMO, both are good for skeet, sporting clays, and hunting of all kinds. For trap, you might want a 391 Parallel Trap, which will give you a higher POI for shooting at rising targets. I don't shoot slugs, so I'm no expert, but I'm sure slugs are OK in these guns, as long as you use an open choke. I searched my owner's manual and it says Steel is OK (with choke tubes, not fixed chokes) but it does not mention slugs.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Paulinski said:
I'm looking to purchase a sem-automatic shot gun. I shoot mostly trap with either Winchester Target Loads or Federals 3drams, 7.5 or 8 shot size. What are the differences between 391 Urika and 391 Sporting (both 12ga, 30" barrel, 2 and 3/4 shell) Any feedback, experiences are appreciated. How reliable are the 391 are are they picky about ammo? Any problems, jammings? Ect. Can they alse be used for seet, or wild game? Can you fire slugs through them?
I'm also looking at Remington 1100 Classic Trap. I will be purchasing new shot gun in near future.
Thanks in advance

Paul
The Beretta and Remington autoloaders each have a different feel. Try them both (along with the Browning and Winchester autos) and see which one you like the best.

I have an 1100 Sporting 12 and an 1100 Classic Trap. If you'll just be shooting trap, I'd stick with a trap grade gun like the 1100 Classic Trap or the 391 Trap.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Do you mean the difference in a 391 Teknys and a 391 Sporting? Your question states 391 Urika vs 391 Sporting then goes on to mention both with 30 barrel. The 391 Urika is a field gun and as such, to my knowledge, comes with nothing longer than a 28in barrel. The field barrels also have a narrower rib and lack the mid bead. Stock dimensions are also different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which Beretta semi should I look at for good trap performance.
I'd like it to have some versatility as i might use it for sporting clays and maybe some bird hunting.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
claydoctor said:
Do you mean the difference in a 391 Teknys and a 391 Sporting? Your question states 391 Urika vs 391 Sporting then goes on to mention both with 30 barrel. The 391 Urika is a field gun and as such, to my knowledge, comes with nothing longer than a 28in barrel. The field barrels also have a narrower rib and lack the mid bead. Stock dimensions are also different.
Urika is not just a field gun. It was in the 391 model line and then replaced with the Teknys. I have a 391 Urika Sporting model with 30" barrel that I bought in 2002 (I think). At that time, I don't think the Teknys was in production. I had not heard of it until a year or two later.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
There is the 391 Urika and the 391 Urika Sporting. My point was that the 391 Urika is a field gun and as such, does not come with a 30in barrel. The Teknys which is a gussied-up 391 Urika, also comes in field and sporting versions.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more question. The 391 have 3" chamber can 2 3/4 shells be used or only 3' shells will work.
Also how does 391 Teknys compare to 391 Urika? Em I stirring the pot here :wink:

Paul

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
claydoctor said:
I think there's an echo in here.
Not an echo; an early morning post BEFORE a full cup of COFFEE :oops: :lol: :oops: :roll:

YES :!: 2 3/4" shell will function in the 3" chamber 391 Urika or Teknys, field or comoetition/sporting.

The Teknys has a natural metallic finish with a clear coat over it. The wood on the Teknys field is a hardwood
with a film laid over it to look like fancy wood; called X-tra wood.
The Teknys Gold has higher a gallery grade select walnut.
All work/function the same.

Paulinski:
:idea: :arrow: If you have questions and do not understand something; ask and we will all stir the pot :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I have made up my mind. I'm thinking of purchasing a Beretta 391 Teknys X-Wood 28" barrel.
Mostly trap with some hunting. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Paulinski said:
I think I have made up my mind. I'm thinking of purchasing a Beretta 391 Teknys X-Wood 28" barrel.
Mostly trap with some hunting. What do you guys think.
You cannot go wrong with any choice before you... the whole 391 line is good.

·
Registered
380 Posts
This is one of the gripes I have with Beretta, the naming of their guns. There are Urika field and sporting models as well as Technys field and sporting models. Very confusing. You have hit the major differences, sporting models having different stock geometry and wider beads.
I have several Beretta shotguns and love them. They are, IMHO, the finest semi shotgun made right now. I also have a few Beretta O/U's and they don't take a back seat to anyone else's either.
I just wish they'd name them something we could keep track of and know what we're talking about. It's funny, when I'm talking on the phone about an 1100 competition skeet, I know exactly which gun the guys talking about. When someone calls about a Beretta Urika Gold, there's at least two...the Urika Gold Sporting and ...get this, the one I personally have is a Urika Gold, Silver side... who in the world thought that one up. But, she's a fine gun!

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
:idea: :arrow: Maybe it keeps the competition guessing too :wink:
JMHO/FWIW; Cha~Chang....Your Change Sir :lol:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Maybe the guns are named in Italian, and the name makes sense until you convert it to English? :?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uggghhh so much confusion. I was really set on the 391 Teknys Xtra wood but now that I hear there are problems with the receiver's finish flaking off, and the plaque falling of I'm considering Urika in either field model 28" barrel or Sporting with 30" barrel. Is Teknys that bad?Like astated above I mostly shoot trap but I might use the gun for hunting as well.

That do you guys think?

Paul

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Take the money and RUN.

(Hey, that could be a song! :mrgreen: )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts