Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I load a fair bit of 410 3", and just discovered I can get 520 odd grains or 1-1/8oz of 9s in this fancy16g/cc tungsten shot, don't have much of it due to the $50 per lb price, but keen to do some experimenting, what velocity should I be aiming for, I'm hoping for about 1050 fps, but have no idea until I start running some tests

Anybody have any experience of these pellets in 410?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,295 Posts
The only experience I have tells me no way are you getting 1-1/8 oz
of anything in a 410 hull even WITHOUT powder. :shock:

Steve

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i dont think the normal .410 range of powders will work.

that tss stuff is awsome though.

i think getting propper wads will be an issue as .410 isnt the best for wad selection. even with mylar wraps.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Assuming the appropriate powder could be found and looking at it from a theoretical point of view:

Shot is accelerated in the barrel by a force pushing on it. This force is the cross sectional area of the barrel times the chamber pressure (in PSI.) Chamber pressure is not a constant number, it varies as the powder burns. However, maximum average peak chamber pressure is specified by SAAMI. The SAAMI number for 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch is 11,500 and for 410-3 inch it is 13,500. The permissible pressure for the 410 load is 117% of that for the 12 gauge. The cross sectional area of the 410 barrel is 31% of a 12 gauge barrel (areas calculated from diameters of 0.410 and 0.729.) 31%x117% is 36%. Look around through various manuals and see what the maximum muzzle velocity you can find anywhere for any 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch 1 1/8 load is. There are various other factors (barrel length being one) BUT, probably the best you could hope for with 1 1/8 ounce in a 410 is around 36% of the highest velocity 1 1/8 once 12 gauge load you can find.

I'm sure there are internal ballistics experts out there that can make this a lot more detailed but this should give you a rough target. I kind of doubt 1 1/8 of shot at somewhere around 600 Ft/sec would be very useful. Most 410's have barrels shorter than most 12 gauges. This will certainly not help with velocity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to demonstrate the capacity difference, have weighed out 492 grains of shot, lead and tungsten and put them in 2 rifle reamer plastic covers. That is 1-1/8oz.

That amount of tungsten (in fact a bit more) will fit in that cheddite case beside it when it has 15grains VV110 and a wad in place.

Interesting business!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, it can be done. It's foriegn to most guys, because they use lead as a frame of reference, but TSS is bad arse.

A good buddy of mine down in Ft. Worth loads it all the time. Last season he took his .410 duck hunting but was only loading 1oz. #9 TSS. Killed Mallards just like my 12ga. SBE with 1 1/4oz steel #3's over decoys.

He showed me pattering and penetration tests done with #9 TSS from 80-100 yards, and it is amazing! I think its cool stuff, but not practical IMO. Hunting for me is all about getting close to game, not seeing how far away I can shoot at it. But, ballistically TSS is some mega awesome stuff.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Densities for reference:
steel shot 7.8 gram/cc
lead shot 11
original hevi-shot/RemHD 12
fed heavyweight 15
TSS 18
Depleted Uranium ( for tank busting) 19

18/11 = 1.64 so TSS is about 64% more dense than lead shot.

#9 shot would also pack into a smaller space than #6 lead. Pressures sure would be vastly higher with the TSS using the same volume of case.

Jeremiah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.