Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not having much luck finding wads for .410 3". Any suggestions?

I picked up some Winchester 3" with #4 shot that I plan to reload ...

·
Registered
393 Posts
There isn't really a true 3" .410 wad unless you are considering TPS wads or BPI's "Max" .410 wad. I've never tried the Max wad, but it is designed for 3" hulls. Unfortunately it looks like they are out of stock, but the TPS are in stock if you don't mind the $$$. About a year ago I picked up 4-5 bags of the old Remington 3" wads on auction that I guess were discontinued decades ago and that is what I use for all my 3" .410 loads unless I need a TPS wad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was looking for Remington wads a while back, and found some from a forum member. They were for 3" hulls, with 11/16 oz of shot. If I roll crimp, I can get a full 3/4 oz of shot in the hull using these. The shot column was totally protected in the 11/16 oz loadings. Unfortunately they are discontinued. The trend now is to have shorter shotcups, with only a portion of the shot protected. One size fits all. I don't see how the patterns can be as good. Try Ballistic Products, that's your best bet to find something close to what you want.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was looking for Remington wads a while back, and found some from a forum member. They were for 3" hulls, with 11/16 oz of shot. If I roll crimp, I can get a full 3/4 oz of shot in the hull using these. The shot column was totally protected in the 11/16 oz loadings. Unfortunately they are discontinued. The trend now is to have shorter shotcups, with only a portion of the shot protected. One size fits all. I don't see how the patterns can be as good. Try Ballistic Products, that's your best bet to find something close to what you want.
I thought the same about patterns. I tried some loads with the MG wad and was totally impressed as most of the shot sits above that wad. Rio uses that wad in their factory loads.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
In my limited test . 3 inch hulls loaded with the short(2 1/2 ) wad. Had a more uniform pattern. Less to no "fliers" compared to the ones loaded . With the limited supply of long wads. With the wad being the only difference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There isn't really a true 3" .410 wad unless you are considering TPS wads or BPI's "Max" .410 wad. I've never tried the Max wad, but it is designed for 3" hulls. Unfortunately it looks like they are out of stock, but the TPS are in stock if you don't mind the $$$. About a year ago I picked up 4-5 bags of the old Remington 3" wads on auction that I guess were discontinued decades ago and that is what I use for all my 3" .410 loads unless I need a TPS wad.
The max .410 looks like a straight wall hull 3” clone of the sp410. I’ve tested some HTL and bismuth with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
In my limited test . 3 inch hulls loaded with the short(2 1/2 ) wad. Had a more uniform pattern. Less to no "fliers" compared to the ones loaded . With the limited supply of long wads. With the wad being the only difference.
What loaded ones were you comparing it to? Only factory loads that are going to have long wads in .410 are nontox.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought the same about patterns. I tried some loads with the MG wad and was totally impressed as most of the shot sits above that wad. Rio uses that wad in their factory loads.
Boss Uses, or at least used to use, the mg.410 wad in their 3” 9/16oz bismuth load. The majority of the shot was over the shot cup.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How did they do? The 3” SP410 is pretty thin and unstitched, wouldn’t test my luck using HTL with it.
Patterns were with h110, .410, and LilGun Powder. The TPS wad in comparison was better performance. I think BPI posted a new load with the max .410 and their Devastator shot.

I used hw13 6’s and hw15 6’s for my testing. h110 had the most uniform patterns, LilGun had the best velocity. I see the same results in comparing the powders in 2.5” loads.

.410powder was a last choice option when I picked up 2 pounds and started researching non-toxic load data.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Patterns were with h110, .410, and LilGun Powder. The TPS wad in comparison was better performance. I think BPI posted a new load with the max .410 and their Devastator shot.

I used hw13 6’s and hw15 6’s for my testing. h110 had the most uniform patterns, LilGun had the best velocity. I see the same results in comparing the powders in 2.5” loads.

.410powder was a last choice option when I picked up 2 pounds and started researching non-toxic load data.
Was those loads identical in powder drop?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What loaded ones were you comparing it to? Only factory loads that are going to have long wads in .410 are nontox.
Read my post closely. I had Remington wads for the 3 inch hulls. They have been discontinued. The two loads were the same except for the wads. (Reloads) not factory. That is what the discussion is about. Correct?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Read my post closely. I had Remington wads for the 3 inch hulls. They have been discontinued. The two loads were the same except for the wads. (Reloads) not factory. That is what the discussion is about. Correct?
Thanks for the clarification, and I wouldn’t have figured that out without it:D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts