Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MX28B sporting for which I would like to get 410 barrels. The dealer said it would be optimal to get a dedicated forend and forend iron at a total cost of ten grand. I have seen combos advertised where the smaller gauge barrels have wood spacers bolted to the side to fit the larger forend. Does anyone have any experience with the latter setup? Is it stable and durable? I only want this for shooting small gauge events so we are not talking about high volume usage.

· Registered
634 Posts
Browning does that and I'm sure it works fine. Why not just have Briley make a set of sidekicks or tubes. They'll make anything you want if you call them. 410 sidekicks in a 28 gauge will add about 7oz all located between your hands.

$10k for a barrel set is too steep. You could find a dedicated gun for close to that. But, if you want to invest that much and you love your stock, etc., etc., then take the plunge. A 28/410 combo is nice to have.

· Registered
154 Posts
I have an MX28B sporting for which I would like to get 410 barrels. The dealer said it would be optimal to get a dedicated forend and forend iron at a total cost of ten grand. I have seen combos advertised where the smaller gauge barrels have wood spacers bolted to the side to fit the larger forend. Does anyone have any experience with the latter setup? Is it stable and durable? I only want this for shooting small gauge events so we are not talking about high volume usage.
im sure that the wood isnt really even that expensive compared to the barrels. I just priced out a k80 12 gauge sporting barrel and it was $6500 plus tax (CND).

Im not sure what a forend would cost for that gun, but I'd guess around a 1/4 of the cost of the barrel. While I think this is "the best" way to go.....

Scar dog 7 is probably on the right track saying try the sidekicks. I have a browning CXS 20/28 combo and I found a set of 20 to 410 tubes for cheap. I can't even tell that they are in the gun.. the weight is all between the hands. I shot a few rounds of skeet with it last week, all hits looked like it was coming out of a true .410... all misses were my own.

· Registered
74 Posts
Rckdr, IMHO, this is one of those cases where there is “optimal” and then there is everything else. Get the dedicated wood and forend hardware with the barrels. It’s the only way you can be sure not to have any problems. Remember that the new barrels and forend will have to be fitted to your gun. That cost may or may not be included in the quote.
Many people like the subgage tubes but I don’t.

· Registered
248 Posts
I have no experience with a Perazzi 28 or 410, but I do own a 12 gauge Mirage Sporting that I had Giacoma fit a new set of match weighted 20 gauge barrels to create my Argentina gun. I only have the 12 gauge fore end. The gun has been to Argentina 8 or 9 times and probably has 50,000 rounds down (a max of +/- 1500 rounds in any one day) the 20 gauge barrels with a 12 gauge fore end and no wood spacer. Works great and no problems so far.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no experience with a Perazzi 28 or 410, but I do own a 12 gauge Mirage Sporting that I had Giacome fit a new set of match weighted 20 gauge barrels to create my Argentina gun. I only have the 12 gauge fore end. The gun has been to Argentina 8 or 9 times and probably has 50,000 rounds down (a max of +/- 1500 rounds in any one day, the 20 gauge barrels with a 12 gauge fore end and no wood spacer. Works great and no problems so far.
Maybe my next step will be to look at a friend’s 410 barrels and see if there is much size difference from 28. I think on the Perazi combos I’ve seen the 410 barrels have thick walls maybe to keep balance and weight uniform.

· Registered
352 Posts
Perazzi wants to supply a new forearm with small gauge barrels. They think it’s important for everything to fit perfectly. I have a set of 20 ga barrels on a 12 ga frame using the same forearm. There’s a little gap but it doesn’t bother me. I also use one forearm for a 20/28 barrel set but my 410 barrels have their own forearm.

· Registered
15,044 Posts
have a gun and my wife has another where the bbls were built when the gun was built and each share. a fore-arm.

Mine is 20 & 28 , and hers is 12 & 20.

I have never seen a .410 bbl built to fit a 28g frame. BUT for $$$$$, Perazzi will build you one. $10k is about right..

· Registered
15,044 Posts
I would listen to them , b/c they have made all kinds of configurations and know what works and what was a dream that did not come true.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I have to decide if it’s worth 10K. I’ve never been a big fan of 410 - the shells look like cigarettes and the recoil of larger gauges never bothers me but I do feel left out when my squad shoots the 410 competition.

· Registered
165 Posts
I order a MX20 two barrel (28ga and 410 30” barrels) set 5 years ago. as I already had a 30” 20 barrel from a MX8/20, I also ordered a 20ga forearm and iron so I would have a matching set of wood for the 3 barrel set.

Ordered a 33” 410 barrel a couple years later for the MX20, Just barrels no forearm or iron as I already had them. I use the same forearm on either barrel.

Perazzi and Dan at Giacomo have been pretty good at getting me what I wanted. Not cheap by no means, but getting what you want is worth the premium.

· Registered
15,044 Posts
I've had 2 multi bbl sets made on a 20g frame. Just never seen one on a 28g frame.

BUT for the right $$$ , Perazzi will fix you up.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m not sure how many 28 gauge frame sporting guns are imported. The one I bought was the only new one I saw for sale last year. Haven’t seen any used ones either. It’s a fun little gun.

· Registered
15,044 Posts
Rck--the answer is very few.

· Registered
165 Posts
Eurochase offered a MX 28 2 barrel set 28ga and 410 a few years ago. I called and made an offer on the gun but seems I insulted the guy. Only one I have seen.

i purchase a used MX 28 last year off of Gunbroker with 32“ barrels. I would rate it as 95% or better. Love the gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.