Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to share this with some fellow shotgun enthusiasts. Recently purchased a new Feather XS Sporting 410 with 30 inch barrels. What a sweet little gun!! It is quickly becoming my favorite and preferred shooter. With the lack of recoil, you can shoot all day long and be ready for more. At a shade over 6 pounds, it is light and quick. I absolutely love this shotgun. Two negatives, one of which is actually a positive.......only 1/2 ounce of shoot makes skeet a tough game, but it should make one a better shot...you gotta be right on those targets. And the cost of shells is rediculously high. I'm going to have to start reloading the little devils!! I think you can load up the 3 inchers to throw about the same load as a 28 gauge, which makes this a great dove gun too. Anyway, I highly recommend this shotgun. It is fun, fun, fun. Are there any other 410 shooters out there??

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
My first O/U was a Browning Citori Hunter about 20+ years ago. It has claimed many starlings, English sparrows, woodcock, rails, snipe, doves, ruffed, and sharptail grouse since then. It is also used regularly while dog training. It is one of my favorite guns too. I reload for it, have done so since I first got it. I have found the 3" loads to be effective out to about the 25 yard mark with either 8s or 7 1/2s. After that, the patterns must get rather spotty as I get a marked increase in the number of cripples out there. I use reloads exclusively, I get about 1200 fps in the 3" hulls with H-110. I have had good success with reloads of 1/2 oz at the 1250 fps mark when loaded with 8 or 8 1/2 shot. The 7 1/2s are rather spotty in my gun but a buddy does well with them in sporting clays. All my 3" loads are Win compression formed cases and I use H-110 in them. The 2 1/2" hulls are mixes of everything; most are Win AA which I load with 8 1/2s or 9s, next is Federal that get loaded with 8s. I have some PMC cases that I loaded with 7 1/2s but they will get reloaded with 8s the next time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I too just picked up a .410 although mine would be on the other end of the price scale. I got me a Mossy 500 .410 for snakes but I found this to be fun gun. kinda like my .22lrs, how ever in order for that to be true I will have to start reloading my own 3" shells. I have been paging thru a few reloading manuals and they have 2/3 oz of shot. So I will have to try my hand at it. I think the last box I got was like $7-$8 so I should be able to reload for about $2-$3 a box. In this case I will reload for shotgun because there really is a huge savings in .410.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Glad to see other 410 shooters out there. I shot a friend of mines on the skeet range last year and then put one on layaway. Got it out last month and shoot all my skeet rounds with it and a small SC course. I shoot for fun not for score so I win everytime. I am looking at a reloader right now. I have a 9000g in 12ga but my 410 friend sweear by the single stages due to the difficulty of loading this hull. I was at the Grand today in Vandalia Ohio and was talking to another 410 shooter who recommended using the Remington hull in the new AA HS hulls. I will have to get the loader soon as the retail price is to high! Shoot well!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bill: Am glad to see your post. Have been considering buying the Feather XS Sporting 410 with 28 inch barrel. Do you like the Hiviz sight. Does the gun have a palm swell. I need 14 1/4 lengh of pull. Will one of the three trigger settings be at 14 1/4. Able Ammo on the Internet has some good shells:
2 1/2 inch at $5.49 and 3 inch at $6.39.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Fivemile,

Like Bill I also purchased a Browning Citori Feather XS Sporting 410 mine with 28" barrel. I chose to make the purchase as the feather series is being discontinued. I did want the 30" barrel but I found a 28" barrel for $300 less (both were new , different retailers) As Bill says it "swings sweet" The LOP is 14-3/4 but the LOP is adjustable, probably +/- 1/4?
Yes, it has a palm swell and I love the Hi Viz sight.

Thanks for the Able ammo info.

Fanugee

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well just got back form trap shooting with the mossy .410 and wow that was FUN!!!!!!!!!! My score took a big hit but the last round I nailed a 15 so I was happy and made $5. Guy at the range with a really sweet Kolar bet I couldn't hit more that 5 birds. I felt good since he only shot a 17. :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
CDNN Investments has Feather XS Sportings Non-Ported 28'' or 30'' barrel in .410 and 28 gauge for $1499

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to hear from you 410 lovers.

Fivemile, for looks - I don't care much for the hyviz front sight, I like a standard ivory bead, and for function - it doesn't matter to me....my guns might just as well not have front beads at all, I never pay attention to them. So I guess I'm not the right person to ask about that. :) Regarding the palm swell...no, mine does not have that feature.....just a very nice slender pistol grip that feels just right for the small bore. To get 14 1/4 LOP, I believe you'll have to get the stock cut down for you

Thashooter, great price!! I thought I got a deal at $1550...just goes to show - there's always a better price out there somewhere!!

John305, 15 at trap is really good from where I stand! I shot a couple rounds and could only put up a 10. At skeet I'm usually around 18 to 19. Did shoot a 23 ONCE (must have been devine intervention) and just about wet my pants I was so proud!!!

Anyway, my love affair with this little jewel of a gun continues. Its my preferred shooter for practice and I figure...its got to make you a better shooter when you pick up the 12 gauge again.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have an old family Winchester Mod 42 with a vent rib and a Simmons installed cutts. (with the original box). Takes a little getting use to after shooting a heavy OU 12 ga for so long. after I calmed down and shortened my lead, I was able to smack a respectable 23/25 at skeet. I have now dusted off the 600JR reloader and will start reloading some again. Anyone have any good pet loads for the .410 ?

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
155 Posts
Apexduck: I tried to figure loading the 410, but can buy new 2 1/2 for $5.49 + 60 cents box freight and can't see how I can beat that with reloading.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bill: I was scared if I started using the HiViz or the Palm Swell that it might effect my shooting with my other guns. I never look at the sights anyway. You did better than I at $1550. I was considering one at $1633. I am going to check out the CDNN Investments gun at $1499. Assume they are legit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fivemile - Browning includes 8 light pipes (4 colors, 2 sizes) with its Hyviz. I put in the small white pipe which looks like a standard ivory bead when sighting down the rib. Since you are like me and don't see it in the sight picture anyway, you'll do fine with or without the Hyviz. I was surprised to see the other post with the affirmative on the palm swell. I thought Browning only provided that feature on the 12's and 20's. I have a swell on my B425 12 gauge and after a couple stations I did not take notice of it any more. Likewise, it has caused no problem in switching to my field guns or to the little XS. But then, I'm not real picky about feel with the exception of LOP...that needs to be right for me. Anyway, good luck with finding your gun at the right price. I think $1633 is darn good, especially if you can get them to throw in shipping. I found the street price to be about $1800 on this gun which has an MSRP of $2300. Yup, anything south of $1700 sounds real good to me.

Apexduck - GOOD shooting man!!!!! I think 23/25 is excellent with a 410! Thats usually where I'm at with the 12. :oops: I'm still looking for that first straight. :cry: BTW, you gotta love those old Winchesters!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Bill. That's helpful info. I think that I want to give it a try; but sure would like to hold one before I buy. Hard to find any stocking dealers down my way. A friend let me shoot his Win mode 42 (410) on a recent dove hunt in Argentina and that is when I decided I would like to have a 410.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fivemile!! You dog!!!!! You went to Argentina??!!!!! Man, I'm green with envy. That's a trip I've been contemplating for the last year. Now tell me, how many rounds do you really go through in a day. I've heard some say up to 1000, but generally around 600 to 700. Either way, its tough for me to get my mind around! Give us some details.....we need details!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bill is correct the palm swell is not offered on the 410. My mistake.
I have not tried the 410 at trap but if I did which choke would you recomend?

fanugee

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bill: Here is the deal. Been twice with Trek to the Cordoba area in mid-June. Temp. ranges 45F to 75F. Beautiful lodge, fantastic food. They take care of everything 100%. All you do is eat, sleep, have a beer or whatever and pull the trigger.
Hunt in sunflower and corn. Cost $2800. including air fare, plus shells at $9.00 box, plus tips for eight 1/2 day hunts.How much you shoot is up to you. I had kidney stone this time and only hunted four 1/2 days and killed 1160 dove with 1600 shots, mostly 20 ga., some 410. One of my partners hunted the whole time; shot exactly 10,000 shells and killed 5,800 dove with a 12 ga.The birds are not wasted. People from the surrounding village come to the field and get all of them. You have your own bird boy and whatever you want to drink in the field. You have lunch in the field done by French Chef, table cloth, cloth napkins, etc. Each time I met super guys from all over the U.S. Planning two trips next Summer; one in May and one in June. Lodge only holds 12; but my group might have room if you want to go.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bill: Now that I have got you fired up about Argentina, tell me about length of pull. You mentioned it had to be right for you. I bought Beretta 28 with 14 1/2 length of pull and shot it for the first time today. All my life, my guns have been 14 1/4. I did not notice any different feel or mounting with the Beretta and shot it fine; but am I overlooking something that I need to consider. What length of pull do you use and how does a different lenght of pull effect you?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Fanugee, I would say full all the way. You may be able to get away with a imp mod but with so few pellets I doubt it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts