Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you folks use you .410 for. How big of bird can these tackle before the small pellet count becomes inhumane?

·
Registered
383 Posts
It depends on the distance you shoot it from. Possibly not much use for anything larger than quail, unless you are worried about noise pollution ITS NOT HOW WELL YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW MUCH NOISE YOUR GUN MAKES.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Lots of dove, rabbits, and squirrels have been shot at with them. :b One of the big reasons for its decline has been the high cost of shells, most folks of modest means dont seem to want to turn Jr loose with shells that run almost twice what 12 or 20's will run.It takes a good shot to shoot consistently with them and if you check the skeet scores for .410 even the good shooters miss with the little bore. There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Part of the problem is in the ballistics.I've read that a pattern check on a .410 will sometimes show an otherwise decent pattern with a hole in it large enough for a small bird to fly safely through.On the other hand,I spent all of last season using a .410 Wingmaster.Bagged 8 or 9 pheasant,twice that in quail.Missed one pheasant. We hunt with dogs,so no birds hit were lost.And I should tell you that there are no wild pheasant in southern Indiana,so the pheasant were pen raised and tended to hold tighter.I don't know that I'de use a .410 on wild birds,in terrain where they flush further out.But on closer flushing birds,it tends to leave them in better shape for the table.I know,I could just wait longer before taking the shot.But I hunted for years as a kid with no dog and .410/22mag. over under.If you didn't shoot quickly,you didn't stand a chance.I've since then tried waiting for what to me,seemed like forever before shooting.But with a larger gauge,especially 12,I always wound up with bird soup.Anyway,I guess it's a matter of preference,hunting conditions,etc. I believe that with practice and a good dog,a.410 can be quite effective.By the way,I'm also partial to 7 1/2 shot.It penetrates well and doesn't drag in as much feather.This,also,depends upon conditions. Jim

·
Registered
383 Posts
The whole system works with cookies.If your operating system (eg win 98) is set up not to accept them you will have problems.Also Firewals set for high security may stop the communication of cookies with Ezboard. Adjust your system settings and your problem should be corrected.If you still have no luck try to change some of the security setting in your control centre.Let us know how you get on.. ITS NOT HOW WELL YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW MUCH NOISE YOUR GUN MAKES.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
From the FAQI cannot stay logged into my account. What now?There are several things that we would like you to try. First, verify that the date on your computer's operating system is correct. Here are the instructions for that:Click on the Start button (assuming that you have Windows on your computer) Click on the Settings Select the Control Panel Click on the Date and Time Change it accordingly. Next try these things:Try deleting your cookies. Click here for instructions. Then log in using this link (if you are a Global user) or from your community (if you are a Local user). If you still are prompted by login screens when you are in your Control Center, repeat step 2 and try again. topI just created an account, but I cannot login. What now?Before you can use your user account you must validate it by first clicking on the link provided in the validation email. If you have not received your validation email, please check the Bulk mailbox of the email account that you registered with. If you cannot find the email, click here to resend your validation email. If that still does not work, please email accounts and fill out the appropriate form fields.If you use AOL there is a special way to validate the account.www.ezboard.com/help/user/faq.html

·
Registered
383 Posts
We now you are registered, if that makes you feel better! ITS NOT HOW WELL YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW MUCH NOISE YOUR GUN MAKES.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hey Jim,It won't log you in automatically every time, so you may have to manually do it on occasion. I see that it showed you as Registered at least once :) We're just glad to have you here whether you are registered or not.regardsJay G.P.S. Thanks Rick618 for the tech support. You might be in the wrong business. Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did those replies get into this thread.\? This is no place for them.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Pumper,
Sometimes things just take a left turn.Did you hear the one about the guy stranded on a desert isle ........ :)
Justmessinwithya,
Jim

G

·
ya, id have to agree with the guy who said that they are used for dove, squirrell, and rabbit, and i love shooting my 410s, cause at about 10-30 ft, which is where you should be shooting squirrells and rabbit from, well thats where i do it from, it drops it with one shot, but the cost is rising, so i havent had my 410 out from under my bed in a couple of years, so now, what i like to use is my 20, its light recoiling, the shells arent expensive and itll knock anything down that a 12 will, go with a 20

G

·
well i wouldnt suggest it for waterfowl, but all upland birds if your dissi;lined on your shots. the shot comes out the barrel at the same fps as a 12, just a lot less pellets just be a good shot and use a tight choke tube like Improved mod or full this way it creates a hit and dead bird or a clean miss. I shoot skeet weekly with a 65 yr old man who shoots a .410 with mod chokes and he dusts more clays than most Im not talking hutting them Im talking dustin them. I shoot a 12 with skeet chokes thats about 1/2-3/4 more lead and the old man still can do his thing. on the strictly hunting note I would upgrade to a 28ga just enough lead and still a small bore...the best of both worlds.

G

·
People under estemate the power of the.410. If you use the right load for the job, you can dust anything. I my self have
killed a white tail buck with 00 buckshot with one shot at
45 yards with full choke.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I agree bear. I got a Winchester 9410 about a year ago and have done nearly all of my hunting (except turkey) with it this year. It has been a great gun. I have shot a heap of squirrels and earlier this week I took a nice eight point buck with it opening day of deer season here in Ohio.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=10204

I heard a joke that the only reason was the 410 shotgun was created was so you could take your young son or daughter hunting and when they accidently shoots you, you stand a better than average chance of surviving the experience.

Now it aint that funny of a joke but the point is a lot of people think of the 410 as a kids shotgun. I hunted rabbits one year when I was ten with a single barrel 410. After that I moved up to a 16 gage and then a few year later onto the mighty 12 gage. Its been twenty years now and I have finally made a full circle back to the 410. My new Winchester 9410 is a lot fancier then that old Savage single barrel 410 but its still the same little shot shell.

I think the 410 makes for a fun and challenging gun to use for small and medium game.

mcb[/url]

G

·
You can most definately kill anything that flies with a .410. My younger brother uses his Wingmaster for just about everything. For waterfowl, he loads a mean #6 Bismuth load that drops ducks better than a 12 ga shooting steel. I have hunted with him on the Mississippi River when he shot six ducks (teal, woodies and mallards) on our opener. Last fall he shot a triple (3 shots--3 birds) on Lesser Canadas in ND. He even managed to shoot a turkey during the fall season two years ago. The only thing he hasn't shot (yet) is a swan or a sandhill crane (or a deer--it is illeagle to use a .410 on big game in Wisconsin).
Without a doubt, you have to practice to be efficient with a .410. However, in the hands of an expert, it can be a very efficient tool.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts