Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to reload Remington 410 STS hulls.
I've tried reloading them on both a Mec 650 and 9000G.
I'm using 15 grains of 296 and have tried Remington and Winchester wads including the new red ones. All the crimps are way too deep to the point that the shot falls out. It's like the wad needs to be taller. AA hulls work just fine.........Anybody else experience this problem?

G

·
Yup! Don't use 296! Get yourself a can of 4227 and your problem is history! I've used 110/296, Lilgun, 2400, and 4227 for both 2 1/2 and 3" .410 and find the best by far is 4227. I've used RP, Win, and PC wads. All the same! You have to use a bit more bulk/more powder with the 4227, but the condition of the crimp is worth every penny! Like you said, AAs are fine with 296 and even Lilgun isn't too bad with them!

BP

G

·
lamo, I almost forgot untill I read the message about MEC throwing light shot charges. MY MEC 600 Jr threw quite light shot load in both 1/2 and 11/16 oz. loads. Between 9 and 12 pieces of 7 1/2s! Now that is quite a bit for a .410, and it makes quite a bit of difference in crimping! You might want to check your shot bushing against a scale and see how much light yours is. That along with 4227 should make nice shells!

BP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.