Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Montgomery Ward .410 Ga. Hawthorne M150B, aka, the Mossberg 183T bolt action 410 gauge that shoots 3" shells. Is it safe to shoot 2 ½" shot/slugs shells out a 3" 410 Ga. Hawthorne M150B? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yes it's safe.
You didn't ask but I'm going to say it anyway.
With utmost respect and no unkindness intended but if you are going to use that rig for deer then for Pete's sake shoot it at the max range you might shoot at a deer and determine you have the accuracy to put that anemic little slug into the kill zone.
The .410 slug is a poor round for game the size of deer.
I would keep ranges very short and be certain the ineffiicent little slug can hit the kill zone with certainty.

·
Registered
975 Posts
jeager106 said:
Yes it's safe.
You didn't ask but I'm going to say it anyway.
With utmost respect and no unkindness intended but if you are going to use that rig for deer then for Pete's sake shoot it at the max range you might shoot at a deer and determine you have the accuracy to put that anemic little slug into the kill zone.
The .410 slug is a poor round for game the size of deer.
I would keep ranges very short and be certain the ineffiicent little slug can hit the kill zone with certainty.
Consistently.

Best used in the woods where there isn't an opportunity for a long shot, but perfectly capable. Think of it as a .357 with a crappy bullet.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Check the laws in your area it may be illegel to use 410 for deer. And the 410 just is not have the punch the bigger gauges do. It is like using a 22 just to small. And a little respect goes a long way when asking questions. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The 410 slug is legal in several state for deer. I personally have taken a nice medium size 8pt buck with my 410 and will be hunting this year, here in Ohio, with my Winchester 9410, but that is slightly off topic.

More to the original poster's question. As other have already said yes you can safely shoot 2.5 inch 410 slugs in a 3 inch chambered 410. But if I may suggest Winchester and Brenneke both load a 3 inch 410 slug and several of the Russian manufacture 2 3/4 inch slugs in their steel 410 hulls. These slugs will all work in you 410 and be safe and likely perform better.

Similar to shooting 38 Specials in a 357 Mag you will often find that shooting the shorter cartridge in the longer chamber will adversely effect accuracy as the bullet/slug has to make the leap from the end of the case/hull though the rest of the unfilled chamber and into the forcing cone or lead of the barrel. Shooting the longer slugs should help accuracy some.

The 3 inch 410 is also specified by SAAMI to a higher pressure than a 2.5 inch 410 (13,200psi - 3in and 12,500psi -2.5in) so you should get a bit more energy out of the longer factory 410 slug shells.

The 3 inch 410 slugs often uses slightly heavier slugs. Win and Rem 2.5 slugs are only 1/5oz (usually weigh in just over 90grs). Winchester 3 inch slugs uses a 1/4oz slug (measures about 111.7 grains) and Brenneke's unique attached gas seal slugs weigh in at 114grs.

I would buy a box or two of every 410 slug you can find and give them all a try. Each gun tends to prefer one ammunition over the rest.

If you interested I have a bunch more information on 410 slugs on my website, see my signature below.

mcb

·
Registered
450 Posts
As anemic and pathetic as it is there have been lots of deer killed by the .410 over the years.

I am seriously considering taking my winchester .410 out this year. I don't plan on shooting it more than 40 or 50 yards though.

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank You McBirch,,, for telling it like it is,,,that little .410 works just fine for a deer gun as long as you know the limits!
I'm proud to say that I'm 7for8 shots. Remington and or Brenneke slugs. Way more damage than my crossbow,lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts