Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Savage Model 24 (.22/.410 o/u) that I like to take rabbit and squirrel hunting. I usually carry a couple of .410 slugs in my pocket in case I see a coyote or bobcat. I have never actually fired a slug through it, and I was wondering if it would have any negetive effects on the barrel, such as damaging the choke. BTW, the barrel is full choke. Thanks in advance! :?: [/b]

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
It will be fine if the slugs are Foster type lead slugs. I would not shoot any solid copper or copper sleeved bullet in your gun.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If they are a foster style slugs your just fine. As of right now I am not aware of any non-foster style 410 slugs on the market. Fired out of a full choke you will probably get really bad accuracy but it will not hurt your gun. I would definitely shoot a few and see where they shoot.

I would suggest the you might want to look for some of the Winchester or Sellier & Bellot buckshot 410 loads. In the 2.5 inch shells you get three 000 pellets and the 3 inch shells have five 00 pellets. This will probably perform better out of your particular gun. Either way shoot a few and so you know how well they are going to work.

mcb

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know this is a little late but I have a gun exactly like yours. I have shot slugs out of it when I was a kid many years ago. I remember target practicing with it. At 50yrd got a 5 inch group if I remember correctly.
I used it as my first deer gun but I never shot a deer with it but I did see my father shot a couple with it. They are no longer legal in my state to hunt big game with.
STB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.