Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife showed me this on one of her emails.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Rastoff said:
But you can do this from your home computer, can you not? If so, then it will affect anyone.
No. Because you would have to login for this to be applicable and only dealers have login credentials.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
This whole deal makes me ill, not to mention pissed off. Take a look at this and there's many more videos there doing the same thing. I guess they either did the deal with concrete in the pan (I think that's what they're supposed to do) or just drained the oil, the run it til it seizes.

This rig isn't all that far off of what I drive daily, but with probably 1/5 the miles. It will also get 20 mpg no strain/no pain, and they are destroying them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LidmCvdU ... re=related

Satan has to have a hand in this :evil: :roll:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
It ought to be a crime...

BT

·
Registered
259 Posts
OK fine, they're trying to get the low MPG vehicles off the road. "Cash for Clunkers" is the cutsey catch phrase for the program.

Now, if I could get more than $4500 for my current vehicle in a private sale I sure as heck would avoid this program like the plague. But, I can see that with some people the "ease" with which they can get rid of their car is probably worth the monetary loss.

What really blows my mind is that people are giving up what look to be vehicles that have at least 3-4 years of good life left in them and they own them outright. So why, in these times, put yourself into more debt because of some silly program concocted by the government. So you can strut around in your new car. I don't see it - a car in my opinion has to get me from Point A to Point B reliably and in a relative amount of comfort.

Finally, does anyone really care what happens to their old car once they sell it to get a new one?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
In the most recent economic news I heard, the only industry doing decent is the auto industry. This is almost completely due to the buy back program. Isn't it odd that the auto makers are now largely owned by the Feds?

I own a 96 Dodge Ram 4X4. It doesn't do great on gas, but I have seen several that do worse. Plus, what I spend on it to properly maintain it is nothing compared to a new car payment. I think I'll just keep my Ram. I can't imagine trying to go hunting in the East Tennessee mountains in a Prius. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
r2d1robert said:
Finally, does anyone really care what happens to their old car once they sell it to get a new one?
Well, you might not, but the used vehicle chain of wholesalers, dealers and potential buyers might. Then there's auto parts stores, tire stores, upholstery shops, mechanics, etc. that could definitely loose business.

This deal is just wrong on so many levels that it's amazing. Not only is every taxpayer being screwed by forcibly subsidizing those who take advantage of the program, some perfectly good but used vehicles are being turned into near-worthles piles of scrap iron and potential wealth is being destroyed before our very eyes...and for no other reason than to support a statist aggenda.

Yeah, I "care", even if I never owned any of these old cars. Call me weird if you want to, as I really don't care about that.....

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THE KICKER IS, THERE HASN'T BEEN GLOBAL WARMING FOR OVER SIX YEARS!!! And 31,000 scientists around the world have signed on to the fact that global warming is a farce. HELLO AL GORE!!! and the lemmings following him.

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
This program isn't about Global Warming or pollution or anything useful to the public. It's about control. This is a ploy by the government to gain approval of the public, nothing more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
one of my friends went to trade in his truck on a newer 4x4 and found out that his vehicle didn't qualify for the program only after they were finalizing his paperwork. it wasn't because his truck was to old but because his truck was a 1 ton.It seems they never thought someone would trade in their 1 ton on a smaller vehicle so its not allowed. the only thing he could have traded it in on was a new 1 ton with better mileage than his current truck.the dealer still wanted to sell him a vehicle but only give him scrap price for his truck and got ticked when he told them no, tear up the paperwork. He doesn't have use for a heavy duty anymore and the one he has is from when he was still running his own logging business. the truck is whipped and he just wanted something more reliable for the winter months. his little souped up neon is just not good in snow.if the aim of this program is to get less fuel efficient vehicles off the road then why the heck would they make this exclusion?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
if the aim of this program is to get less fuel efficient vehicles off the road then why the heck would they make this exclusion
Same ole and you know the drill, don't try to make any sense out of the situation, that isn't/wasn't a factor going in and never will be.

·
Registered
530 Posts
several years ago i bought (no money just blood, sweat and tears) a dodge ram with over 100,000 miles , a trashed transmission, peeling paint and several dents, dings, anti-freeze leaked, used oil, bad tires, headliner coming loose, about 10 mpg, but there ain't nothing wrong with the radio. i always wanted a toyota tacoma, but this is what i had to settle for. 2 years ago i was broadsided by a pickup (ironically a toyota tacoma) and both trucks were totaled. i drove away, he did not. after dealing with his insurance i came out with my beat up truck and about $3500.00. about three weeks ago i received $4500.00 and a $500.00 rebate towards the purchase of a 2009 toyota tacoma. having been sold 2 lemons (one brand new and the other with low miles) it was nice to finally get a good deal from a car salesman. being a God-fearing, hard-working, red blooded, tax-paying American, i will apologize to no one for participating in the cash for clunkers. i'm sure in the long run, my tax money will more than pay the $4500.00 back anyway.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I know they sold a lot of vehicles during the "Clunker" program, but no one has said how many vehicles were normally sold during that time period. I think a lot of the clunkers would have been traded in rgardless of the Clunker program.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
All over now...
Hope next time they make them buy GM Ford and Chrylsers as a requriment. Stead of Asian brands...

·
Registered
30,249 Posts
What surprised me about "Cash for Clunkers" was that I always thought that the typical new car customer traded in a pretty nice used car, and the folks that drove old beaters weren't usually in the market for a brand new vehicle.

Yeah, they clunked some pretty nice cars, but by and large the program was more popular than I thought it would be, and most of the cars clunked were pretty tired.

When I was on the school board, I swear somebody looked around for a government grant before they bought anything. :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts