Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been elected ( read dragooned ) into setting up a 5 Stand course at www.missionrodandgun.com/default.htmI've only read about 5 Stand. Any help or advice would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hello IanGT,Here are a couple of links that might help out:www.martyfischer.com(Range design consultant)www.rangeinfo.org/(website of the National Association of Shooting Ranges)The NASR has several publications on line about designing courses.Hope it helps. Feel free to name the first stand the "Shotgunworld.com" stand ;) regards,Jay Gentry8o Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Marty Fischer is a good man and a great source. He's worked on several ranges in the East Tennessee area.You might also contact National Sporting Clays Association for a list of instructors in your area. Lots of those folks are more than capable of designing a range. Also NRA range development guide and resource manual would be a good place to start.At my club we designed and built a nice 5-stand without anyone having done it before and we made a few mistakes in that we didn't make things are big as they should have been.BTW: This isn't a one person job get help from other shotgunners in the club.Good Luck and Good ShootingTanasi:w

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Why don't people pay ME to help them create sporting clays courses? That's a job I could really get into. Maybe I could become a sporting clays course critic. I'd travel the country, trying different courses, and rating them in some newspaper column or maybe on a small cable show. You think there's money in that? I'd sure like the work! :p Casual ShooterOne gun does it all when one gun is all you have!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a brilliant idea for a job!!! Wish I'd thought of it.Try for a gov grant or see if TNN is interested

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
IainGT, sounds like a great time to head out to some local and not so local clays ranges to check out their 5-stand setups. Grab the digital camera and pick which shot setups will work for you. Depending on what level of shooters you have, this shouldn't be a combination of all tough shots to start with, if the average shooter feels like its beyond them they wont shoot it again. Which considering the cost of the 5 traps and the release system you want as many folks shooting it as you can.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Jay, I'm going to hold you to that!Casual ShooterShotgunworld Ambassador and Sporting Clays Course Critic"Will critique your course for free* ".* - free meaning I get to shoot it for free. Casual ShooterOne gun does it all when one gun is all you have!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts