Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot with an IC choke at all the sporting clay ranges in my area but there is one range with very long shots[50 + yards].I was wondering what choke would be good for these shots.Just to give a little info:gun=browning gold,shells=Remington Nitro's 7.5 ,1300fps.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i'll probably tighten up to a mod or maybe a full it it's mosty edge and / or quartering away. (i use LM on everything else)

·
Banned
795 Posts
If you use ic use it , as most shooters do think about the choke rather than hitting the target thats why you posted.

Sure if you worry about choke use more choke , ok more than ic would give you a better pattern at 50 +

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
United Shot said:
By the way you wont get a 50+ yard target on any real sporting range so stick with it guy :lol:
I imagine that numerous sporting clays ranges that I've shot tournaments at would be surprised to learn that they are not a "real sporting range". :? Perhaps you need to come to the U.S. to find out what REAL sporting ranges throw at tournament time. :wink:

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
United Shot said:
If you use ic use it , as most shooters do think about the choke rather than hitting the target thats why you posted.

Sure if you worry about choke use more choke , ok more than ic would give you a better pattern at 50 +
Pay no mind to the village idiot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
get your head out of the game and smack tha target. When I miss a target No choke is gonna make it up.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Goldsharpshooter

IC will break targets at 50 or even 60 yards, but you have to be on them to do it, and it is more the attitude of the target that determines the choke needed. A full face teal at 60 yards will break with IC, likewise a driven high target with all its belly showing, BUT for fast edge on crosser at 30 yard - I would use Mod.

I did not realise that Deer Creek is an Imaginary sporting clays gun club - we have had targets over 50, 60 and even on one occasion 70 yards.

Perhaps United was trying to say, most people think clays are further away than most people think they are?

I have shot all over the UK and had many targets well over 50 yards on occasion. Royal Berkshire, Roundwood, and Lady's Wood near Bristol have towers that are 150 feet high, they throw clays UP off the top, and Roundwood even dug a 10 foot deep trench to win the 'tallest tower' competition. :shock: West Wycombe has some long targets on their grouse pit and the tower is no slouch either. All are very REAL sporting clays clubs. And remember the Brits use 1oz loads only.

Roger

·
Registered
384 Posts
Roger Gascoigne said:
Goldsharpshooter

IC will break targets at 50 or even 60 yards, but you have to be on them to do it, and it is more the attitude of the target that determines the choke needed. A full face teal at 60 yards will break with IC, likewise a driven high target with all its belly showing, BUT for fast edge on crosser at 30 yard - I would use Mod.
Roger knows what he's talking about. They had a target set that I couldn't hit with either IC or Mod. It was pretty far away - to my mind anyway - and it wasn't the choke issue that affected hitting it but technique because the clay twisted its shape around :lol: as it was flying. Once he showed me how to hit it, still using the same chokes I had in, then it broke. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am a believer in the theory that it only takes one pellet to break a target, and therefore I rarely change my IC/Mod setup in my o/u. I make the decision on which target to shoot first and which bbl to shoot at it so that I have the best chance of breaking both targets. It sound to me like you are shooting a semi-auto, and in that case I would go with an IC. If you shoot it right, there are not really any targets that can't be broken with an IC choke. I will concede that there are some targets that are easier to break with different chokes, but if you have to make an all around choke decision, IC is my suggestion.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I/C, LM will work as will M, LM. Read Roger's post and Purestoke's follow on.

I have shot and broken a couple of Tower shots at ASC in Houston that were laser mesasured at 53 yards and broken them consistantly with:

Win SuperX2, Briley Diffusion and Remington Nitro 7.5s. Once I figured out how to be ahead of the bird--it is 53-55 yards out and droping like a rock--it was not problem to break it with a Briley D choke. I'd not have beleived that this could be done until my shooting buddy did it with my gun--then got me to stay in the gun, use proper lead and got to breaking them also.

On another occasion, same gun, WW AA Super Sport 8s. ~60 yards from shooter to river where bird lands.

Birds come from tower, over head and into the river gorge--long droping shot--LM would break the bird consistantly. We got to holding our shots to see who could break closest to the water. Measured distance was 61 yards to surface.

As long as one was a head of the bird and managing to swing, smootly down and be what looked like 4 feet below the bird we got nice clean breaks. FWIW (United) a skeet choke in my gun could not do this and the LM would. So i guess that the choke has some effect :shock:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
My favorite choke is Lt mod b/c it will reach out and hit those 50 yd birds but will give me enough usable pattern for most of the close stuff ,too. I use it over 80% of the time.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Ulysses said:
United Shot said:
By the way you wont get a 50+ yard target on any real sporting range so stick with it guy :lol:
I imagine that numerous sporting clays ranges that I've shot tournaments at would be surprised to learn that they are not a "real sporting range". :? Perhaps you need to come to the U.S. to find out what REAL sporting ranges throw at tournament time. :wink:
leave the hard ones to you guys , you are on the ball

·
Banned
795 Posts
To the new shooters that read most of the posts on here .

All I would say is dont listen to the guys that say sporting clay grounds have targets at 50 + , and wild i killed 60+ yards targets .

The truth whatever they seem to think is ,,, sporting may get to 50 , then the wow it was 80 yard kill factor comes in .

Most targets are less than 50 , even if the shooter dont think it , and to the guys that think they know what they are talking about , get a tape measure :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts