Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start this thread cause it is the fastest way to get posters. 8) Ya know I think the mossy 500 is the better buy with all the aftermarket stuff and dohickies(just a little technical speak). The price and reliability are also a godd selling point.

G

·
I think the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500 are both good buys. Both are good, cheap, and reliable guns that can be used for any thing such as hunting, clays, etc. Both are good guns for the money. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love my 870, but since I got my Browning Gold the 870 gets left at home alot more. But this coming deer season the 870 with a rifled barrel will be my gun of choice.:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey mossy, all three are very good guns in about the same $$$ range. I was wondering what it is about one in particular which you think stands above the rest. Like why do you have a mossy over a 870? Stuff like that no matter how small.

G

·
I own two 870's and would never give 'em up. But a buddy of mine purchased an 870 Express and found that there was a flaw inside the barrel. He sent the barrel to Remington, they sent him a new barrel which doesn't fit right. I didn't believe him until I handled the gun and tried removing and reinstalling the barrel.

I've handled and fired an old, well worn Mossberg 500 and it worked. My next purchase was going to be the infamous 835 but now I'm leaning toward a Winchester 1300, I've never heard anything bad about the 1300's but that could change.

My only explanation for my buddie's 870 is this: Guns are made by people and people make mistakes but there's no excuse for faulty merchandise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My pick goes for the 870, the gun never misses a beat and is the toughest thing to ever shoot slugs. The Mossberg is a good performer as well. i personally dont think its quite as good at the 870 but it is very close and is a little cheaper in price, however the Remington is a better looking gun as well. and while that doesnt mean a whole lot, if i can buy 2 diff guns that work almost equally well why not buy the gun that is nicer to look at and has a bit more quality. Also Mossbrgs just feel cheap to me. just my opinion anywho.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Growing up (kids) we have always shot both Remington, and Mossbergs -neither of them ever had any problems. There was just something about the Remington, maybe it was just how it felt in my hands. Now I buy Remington for myself and love the fit, function and finish.

Taylor

G

·
How do these 3 compare in terms of how the slide release and safety are set up? Which has the best ergonomic design for a right hander wanting to shoot quicklyl?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I like the top tang safety on the mossy. I like the mossy's slide release, also. Both are in easy-to-reach places and neither require hand movement.

I like the Remington for options/accessories. If ever a stereo system is made for a shotgun, they'll make it for the 870.

My fav. is actually not one of these, though. It's Benelli's Nova.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It is not the best looking gun in the world, but I am loving my new Mossberg 500. It is very easy to use and reliable (in my limited experience). I can't wait to take it to the range this weekend.

G

·
I can live with all three. IMHO, for the average hunter, it's a toss up. I'm not particularly a Winchester fan, but it seems to me the 1300 seems to operate a little smoother. But, once broken in, the 870 or the 500 will do OK too. So, to use that well used phrase, whatever feels best, buy it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've handled and fired an old, well worn Mossberg 500 and it worked. My next purchase was going to be the infamous 835 but now I'm leaning toward a Winchester 1300, I've never heard anything bad about the 1300's but that could change.

[/quote]

A couple of years ago (1979) I decided that I needed new pump. So I went to this big gunstore what was having a Christmas sale.

I was all set to buy a Remington 870. But they had Browning 2000's (I think that is what they were called) and Winchester 1300's.

Now, I know guys who swear by 870's, and I'll never argue with them. But I tried all three guns. Cycled them fingered them and thought for a long time, and I bought the Winchester 1300.

Screw in chokes were new then too, and the Winchester had them and I don't think the Remington did.

The 1300 seemed smoother to me, and it seemed lighter. I also liked the quality a little better. Not that Remington is not a quality gun.

I still have the Winchester and I still like it, but when I want to go a pump gun shootin, I take my ancient Ithica Model 37.

But for steel, I take the Winchester, but I don't use the full choke winchoke; only modified and cylinder bore.

The only really bad pump shotgun that I ever saw was a Smith and Wesson. They didn't make them for too long. My buddy had one and it was always going in for repairs.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Depends what your requirements and priorities are.

If you want a walnut stocked gun, you are looking at a an 870 Wingmaster or the walnut version of the 1300.

If you are looking at a trap model, the 870 is the only currently producted option.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have owned and used all three (1200, actually, not 1300). I never got feeling warm and fuzzy about the 1200...not sure why. If you go with a Mossberg, consider replacing the plastic safety slide with the metal replacement part from Brownells -- these sometimes break (rarely but it's a pain when they do). I have to say that I prefer the fit, feel and function of the 870s, but at this point I think I'd prefer to buy a used one. It is almost literally impossible to wear out an 870. One of mine dates back to the late 1950s and it functions perfectly and is slick as glass (lots of use).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the 500...

Pump and shoot! It will drop anything in front of its barrel. Jams? I hope your not talking about my gun since it never experienced it.

I personally never used a Winchester 1300. But 870 just doesn't fit me for some reason.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My .02 cents.
I grew up with 870s and 1100s. When I was younger I always wanted a Mossberg 500...why, I don't recall, probably because it was different than what I was used to maybe. My Dad would always look at me kind of funny when I would mention how I wanted a Mossberg then he would start into this story of how he bought one years before and had to return it twice for repairs and ended up eventually just getting rid of it entirely.
Well, years later I bought a model 500 and became somewhat disgusted with it after disassembling it. It seemed that the entire trigger group was made of plastic and all the metal parts of the bolt and carrier were rough and unfinished. In addition, the receiver was made of aluminum instead of steel and the cycling of the action was just so loose and sloppy.
As much as I wanted to like that shotgun I just couldn't ever get a good feeling for it. Eventually I got rid of it somewhere and have just stuck with what I'm used to and most familiar with - the Remingtons. The Mossberg just felt cheap and clumsy where as the Remington feels like it's built like a tank.
Never have I had any problems of any sort with any Remington that I've owned nor heard of or seen any problems with those of my father's or any his buddies Remingtons.
Regardless of price, the Remington is as reliable of a gun as you're going to find. For the value, they're one of the best deals going, if not THE best.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts