Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to take the big plunge and invest in my first o/u skeet gun..I've been shopping around and our local gun shop has 1 new syngery sporting classic-32" barrels with adj comb, with really nice wood...

Also in stock, a new browning 525-32" barrels, adj comb, palm swell, and nice wood but not near as pretty as the cynergy...

The gunsmith said the 525 with heaving shooting is more prone to mechanical failure than the cynergy.

Am I getting the right inforamtion here , or is he possibly wanting to keep the 525 for himself...Here in ontario, the cynergy is $2900 and the 525 is $3400 both +taxes...

What do you guys think?? The 525, I think points better for me than the cynergy, but what is the better overall gun, or is there one..

Thanks in advance

Merry Christmas....opps Happy Holidays

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
livtohunt,
Personally, I have never liked the Cynergy from the first one I had in my hands, and as for the 525, the guy hasn't a clue, as it's no different than the Cirori's from years back.

The difference in the 525 is the exaggerated pistol grip, that of course causes the Receiver tangs to be lower, in order to fit the stock. Other than that the receiver of the 525 is identical in all inside parts as the entire Citori series guns has been from back in the 80's.

That being said, I would suggest the XS series of guns, rather than the 525's, or the Cynergy's. These are true target guns, and have all the accoutrements of a target gun.

Also, don't just jump in and get 32 inch barrels. You will probably regret it if you ever tube the gun.

For the average Joe, the 30 inch guns are very adequate, and IMHO are a far better choice than anything longer.

DLM

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
I wouldn`t flip my hand over for the difference in the two as to how long they will last. I`ve owned both and they are two completely different guns. The 525 will have the palm swell you mentioned and some slight cast. The cynergy will be fairly neutral with no palm swell. I think the triggers are better on the 525 and can be worked on more easily for trigger pull and creep. You mentioned these were for skeet. Both these are designed primarily as sporting guns. I would not buy either gun for skeet. Thats just me. I like a(trap) parallel type stock. I consider 30 inches the max on barrels but see many who like the 32`s but brownings are barrel HEAVY...and with tubes are extremely so with 32`s. I`d look at a xs skeet or beretta 682 skeet. I`m not real familiar with your exchange rate but that seems EXTREMELY high on the price.(last I checked it was about dollar for dollar) I bought a cynergy not to long ago for 1800 bucks new. A 525 will run around 2300 dollars here. I`m not sure of your budget but the blaser is a fine gun for a lot less than a K gun or perazzi. Look around and don`t jump to quick. I wasted a LOT of money before I came up with what I liked. Make sure what type stock you like. Sporting? Trap? palm swell? adj comb? forearm? Then what type rib you want? step? raised? flat? width? tapered? Do you want a adj comb? I recommend one with a adj butt pad also. Just a LOT of things to consider and get right the FIRST time. I wish someone had helped me. Well now you`ve got my 2 cents worth....GOOD LUCK..and again take yor time and think it through. chris

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I don't believe the Cynergy line has been around long enough for him to accurately make that comparison. He most likely has other reasons for wanting to sell you the Cynergy. The Citori line has been around for many years and is very reliable. I have also heard nothing but positive comments from Cynergy owners. I would go with the one you like since I don't believe reliability will be a problem with either.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would also look at the Browning XS line. I have an XS Skeet and an XS Sporting and absolutely love them. I also agree with the fact that a 525 will be as reliable as any other Citori. However, I shot a 525 once and found the drop in the stock caused me some cheek slap. For Skeet shooting, I don't think you can beat the XS Skeet with its parallel comb.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, There's more to buying a skeet gun, than just looking for a "sporting" model...Listening to locals maybe hasn't helped me somewhat either...

What is it about a parallel stock over a field stock, that make them so different, and advantageous....Would a typical trap gun setup, work as well on skeet?

I had a cash deposit down on a 682 e sporting and took it off, then today went and put it back down on a cynergy....oh, they're going to think I'll never find the right one...I feel bad going back and telling them, that isn't the gun...but it is alot of money for me to invest, and I want to know I made the right choice, the 1rst time..

I would like to tube it eventually, so the 30's might be the way I'll go..

That synergy up here at qanother local shop is $3500+ 14% taxes, and another shop was $3050+taxes...

I noticed on the browning website, the xs skeet with an adj comb for example is 2850 usd, as opposed to the synergy classic sporting with adj comb 3500usd....hopefully I'll be able to get the xs, for around $3000 cdn??

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Neither. Liv, the guy is feeding you a line of horse pucky for God know what reason. I have never cared for the Cyn. Doesn't feel good in my hands, and to my eye, they are ugly like an Edsel. I don't know even one serious registered skeet shooter that shoots one... Or the 525 for that matter. Which tells me something anyway...

I bought a 525 30, and found as others have told you, it is fine without tubes, but the minute you add tubes, IMO becomes too barrel heavy. Adding stock weight doesn't seem to cure it either. I would leave both, and find a good used 682 Beretta. I think as a skeet gun, you will be much happier. Oh... and about the nasty creep in a 525 trigger, Briley tells me it can't be gotten rid of without causing the gun to double. I shipped mine to them twice, paid good money, and they told me they did the best that could be done... Now, that may or many not be true... I'm not a gun smith and couldn't give you a diffinitive answer, but have to rely on what Briley said... But they do know something about guns. :lol:

best to you,
bd

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
bel_dad said:
I don't know even one serious registered skeet shooter that shoots one... Or the 525 for that matter.

Oh... and about the nasty creep in a 525 trigger, Briley tells me it can't be gotten rid of without causing the gun to double.
Matt Wagoner out of Colorado shoots a 425 with a trigger that's as tasty as a K80. I don't know who did his trigger work, but it can be done. And lest you think he's no "serious" registered skeet shooter, you'll find him on the TS AA team in years past and likely on an Open team this year (didn't shoot minimums in years past to make Open). He also won the US Open this year in a shootoff of 399s over Bob DeFrancesco. I think he's pretty serious.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
I`ve had the triggers reworked on both the 525 and cynergy. Both were acceptable and good for competition purposes. They still were not a blaser or K gun trigger though. JMHO.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Actually, I think the 425 is a better gun that the 525, they seem to go down hill with every version... Can't wait for the 625. :roll: The 425 feels a lot more like a DT 10, and I couldn't swear by it, but think the trigger may be somewhat different... But OK> There's one guy who shoots a 425. :lol: I'm happy someone has had success fixing the trigger on their brand new gun, :lol: I sure didn't have any luck with mine. For what ever it's worth, I do think the X series are a bit better ballanced. Never put one on a scale, but my fat hands tell me there is a difference. I will say, the 525 is rock solid as far as longevity goes... Very, very well built, and will last a lifetime.

Buy A Beretta, you will be ahead of the game. Or... I know where there is a 525 with exceptional wood, trigger job, adjustable comb and butt plate, Briley Rev tubes and an Americase at a pretty good price. :shock:

This is strictly my opinion, and I ain't no Eiderz. Who knows, perhaps everyone will sell their K80's and be shooting 525's and Cyn's next year! :roll:

Chris... I don't mean to demean you or your guns in any way. If they work for you and you like them... THAT IS ALL THAT COUNTS. I didn't have a very good experience with mine. The guy asked, and I gave the best answer I could, based on my experience and observation.

bd

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
bel_dad said:
Actually, I think the 425 is a better gun that the 525, they seem to go down hill with every version... Can't wait for the 625. :roll: The 425 feels a lot more like a DT 10, and I couldn't swear by it, but think the trigger may be somewhat different... But OK> There's one guy who shoots a 425. :lol: I'm happy someone has had success fixing the trigger on their brand new gun, :lol: I sure didn't have any luck with mine. For what ever it's worth, I do think the X series are a bit better ballanced. Never put one on a scale, but my fat hands tell me there is a difference. I will say, the 525 is rock solid as far as longevity goes... Very, very well built, and will last a lifetime.

Buy A Beretta, you will be ahead of the game. Or... I know where there is a 525 with exceptional wood, trigger job, adjustable comb and butt plate, Briley Rev tubes and an Americase at a pretty good price. :shock:

This is strictly my opinion, and I ain't no Eiderz. Who knows, perhaps everyone will sell their K80's and be shooting 525's and Cyn's next year! :roll:

Chris... I don't mean to demean you or your guns in any way. If they work for you and you like them... THAT IS ALL THAT COUNTS. I didn't have a very good experience with mine. The guy asked, and I gave the best answer I could, based on my experience and observation.

bd
Bel dad you didn`t bother me at all. I don`t own either gun/guns now. But if given the choice I`d buy as I stated neither for skeet. I agree with your opinion on barrel wieght w/tubes on a browning with 30`s or 32`s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.