Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I'm attempting to convert my existing 590a1 (heavy barrel) to have the ability to fire 3.5" magnum shells.

I know that Mossberg 835 barrels will install on a 590a1 receiver, but even after looking through the search function on this site, I can't tell if anyone's ever actually done it. The closest I got was a number of threads involving Mic214, from which I deduced that you can safely combine a 590a1 barrel with a 835 receiver. But what about the other way around? Can you safely put a 835 barrel on a 590a1 receiver? From pictures, the receivers look identical, but I can't say for certain as I don't have an 835 in hand.

Can anyone here clarify for certain? I don't want to attempt this and find that the 590a1 receivers cannot handle the pressure, or will not cycle the 3.5" rounds due to a smaller ejection port or something like that. If there's a thread already answering this, please direct me to it. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I answered my own question. Bought a box of 3.5"s and tried cycling them in my 590a1 with 835 barrel. For anyone wondering, you CANNOT cycle 3.5" shells in a 590a1 receiver. They are difficult (but possible) to put straight into the chamber. Also possible to load into the magazine; I got five shells into my usually seven shot tube. But if you attempt to cycle one, the elevator jams up. :( This occurred 5 of 5 times. There's not enough space designed in to handle the extra 1/2" of shell. If you manually force the shell into the chamber and then cycle the action AGAIN, the ejection port is not large enough to EJECT the previously chambered shell, and now you have a double-feed. :evil:

Guess I'm out the money for the barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neanderthal said:
No, you are ok. BUT, I could have told you your experiment would not work. . . . . just re-sell the barrel. Cheap lesson-very cheap. I wish more of mine had been. {hs#
I might just purchase a used 835, use the quality 590a1 parts I have to upgrade it (trigger group, safety, keep the extra GRS barrel), and sell the remainder when I'm done. If I can find a reasonably priced 835, that is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,655 Posts
Fierce recoil in an already harder recoiling pump HD shotgun, particularly at close distances does not always afford large effective/intended terminal effects...
You both may well be moving; in bad lighting. And it's not that hard to miss in even a hallway at even 3-7 yards, depending on load/pattern, circumstances/stress and experience. Being able to make follow-up shots quickly and precisely benefits you and yours; 3-1/2 loads don't neccessarily. Hornady 2-3/4" slugs will do 1600 fps, and really hardcast offerings like Brenneke SFM or SFMBPM will punch engine blocks. I always keep 2 Brenneke slugs, the first a THD, stowed as back-up. And 2-3/4" rounds increase your on-board capacity, which is a shortcoming of most (non-3Gun impractical)tube-fed SGs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,973 Posts
adcard7 said:
Sgtshultzy1 said:
Try three inch shells
Yeah, three inchers work, but for me the idea was to create something approaching the recoil and power of a 10 gauge. I enjoy large terminal effects; they make me happy. :D
Why would you want to increase the recoil of the gun thinking it would increase any terminal effect except on your end?

adcard7 said:
If I can find a reasonably priced 835, that is.
They are easy to find. There are plenty of people who thought buying a lightweight 3.5" magnum pump gun was a good idea, and after using it no longer think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GDubya said:
You both may well be moving; in bad lighting. And it's not that hard to miss in even a hallway at even 3-7 yards, depending on load/pattern, circumstances/stress and experience. Being able to make follow-up shots quickly and precisely benefits you and yours; 3-1/2 loads don't neccessarily. Hornady 2-3/4" slugs will do 1600 fps, and really hardcast offerings like Brenneke SFM or SFMBPM will punch engine blocks. I always keep 2 Brenneke slugs, the first a THD, stowed as back-up. And 2-3/4" rounds increase your on-board capacity, which is a shortcoming of most (non-3Gun impractical)tube-fed SGs.
Everything you've said here is true; and I don't use anything larger than 2-3/4" for serious work. That being said, I've found that for me, practicing with larger/harder recoiling weapons makes me that much better once I transition BACK to my usual lighter loads. No one thinks 12ga 2-3/4" buck is a light recoiling round until they try the same in 3-1/2"! :shock:

Plus I'm still young and dumb; I enjoy guns with heavy recoil. :mrgreen:

I ended up retrofitting an old parkerized 835 I found on Gunbroker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
adcard7 said:
GDubya said:
You both may well be moving; in bad lighting. And it's not that hard to miss in even a hallway at even 3-7 yards, depending on load/pattern, circumstances/stress and experience. Being able to make follow-up shots quickly and precisely benefits you and yours; 3-1/2 loads don't neccessarily. Hornady 2-3/4" slugs will do 1600 fps, and really hardcast offerings like Brenneke SFM or SFMBPM will punch engine blocks. I always keep 2 Brenneke slugs, the first a THD, stowed as back-up. And 2-3/4" rounds increase your on-board capacity, which is a shortcoming of most (non-3Gun impractical)tube-fed SGs.
Everything you've said here is true; and I don't use anything larger than 2-3/4" for serious work. That being said, I've found that for me, practicing with larger/harder recoiling weapons makes me that much better once I transition BACK to my usual lighter loads. No one thinks 12ga 2-3/4" buck is a light recoiling round until they try the same in 3-1/2"! :shock:

Plus I'm still young and dumb; I enjoy guns with heavy recoil. :mrgreen:

I ended up retrofitting an old parkerized 835 I found on Gunbroker.
Buck or bird....a full house load is a full house load, the size if the pellets makes no difference in recoil. That being said, get yourself a box of Remington 3" Hypersonic ...enjoy the recoil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,377 Posts
The long pump stroke needed to cycle 3 1/2" shells makes these guns slower to use and more prone to short stroking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nixterdemus said:
I fail to recognize the reasoning behind a 3.5" mag HD arm.
I use 2-3/4 for HD. But you've got to admit it's an awesome anti-bear weapon! {CR8

It's all about training. A lot of people like to shoot light loads and then load their weapons with stouter self defense rounds. This is good. It allows you to get a lot of rounds down range. But after I've gone through a few boxes of the light stuff, I burn a box of heavy [REALLY heavy]. At the very end, I run a few more in the round I plan on using.

If you practice, you get good at it. If you practice with heavy loads, you get BETTER with the light ones. It is a strategy (not the only one), and it works for me. I never got decent on a rifle until I fired a shotgun and realized how puny the recoil on a rifle is.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top