Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good shooting, relatively inexpensive, 28ga. o/u. I noticed a black finished Beretta 686 at Gander Mountain. I did a search in past threads, and got some good information about these guns. However, I am still confused on a few points.

1. How many chokes come with the gun? From past threads, I could not tell if it came with modified and full only, or IC/Mod/Full.

2. The wood on the gun that I looked at is not pretty. Are all of these guns this way? Also, is the glossy finish actually a finish or is it some type of printed veneer?

3. How does the forearm come off? I could not get it off in the store (although I did not try very hard).

4. Most importantly, even though it is relatively inexpensive, it is not cheap. Is this a quality firearm? I am always skeptical about "exclusive" firearms (although I understand that these guns are available throughout the rest of the world). I understand that the finish is much less expensive and that it lacks engraving, but are the internal mechanicals similar to the higher priced guns?

Thanks,
Elliott

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Mechanically it's the same as all the other 68x series. There are no "cheap" bits in them. The 28g should be screw choked but I'm not sure which ones come with it although they aren't expensive to buy later. The Gander model is almost certainly this one: http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=1&ids=15

One thing that annoys me about Beretta is that they change the wood finish from gloss to matt to satin etc. etc. etc. as and when they feel like it. They seem to do it with all the non-oil finished guns.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
1. How many chokes come with the gun? From past threads, I could not tell if it came with modified and full only, or IC/Mod/Full.
The ones I've seen came with F/M. Ask the clerk.

esulcove said:
2. The wood on the gun that I looked at is not pretty. Are all of these guns this way? Also, is the glossy finish actually a finish or is it some type of printed veneer?
Plain Jane wood with gloss finish.

esulcove said:
3. How does the forearm come off? I could not get it off in the store (although I did not try very hard).
Guns at GM are on open racks and are often damaged by hammed fisted meat heads that don't have a clue of what they're doing. Handled one of the B 28ga guns that you are interested in with a top lever that would not return to center.

esulcove said:
4. Most importantly, even though it is relatively inexpensive, it is not cheap. Is this a quality firearm? I am always skeptical about "exclusive" firearms (although I understand that these guns are available throughout the rest of the world). I understand that the finish is much less expensive and that it lacks engraving, but are the internal mechanicals similar to the higher priced guns?
It's a black onyx. I believe Rick Cole uses this model for his custom guns. They're a quality gun.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
seb7515 said:
Guns at GM are on open racks and are often damaged by hammed fisted meat heads that don't have a clue of what they're doing. Handled one of the B 28ga guns that you are interested in with a top lever that would not return to center.
:lol:

Hopefully you are joking since you are making fun of people for not knowing what they're doing! The top lever is not supposed to return to center on a brand new 68x.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the 686 WOS (white onyx sporting) model. I looked at quite a few before buying. The lever is not centered when returned to neutral position. It may be there some day but as new (or relatively new, it is biased to right). Also, forearm must come off to get barrel separated from stock. It may be a little stiff when new (I don't remember) but it has to come off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts