Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lever on my 686WOS seems like it has already moved to the left quite a bit, very quickly. I've had it about 6-7 months. and have less than 6,000 rounds through it. I can already start to see the engraving under the lever.

Where's the lever on everyone else's gun?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you putting grease into the locking lug holes or maybe on the lugs themselves? I use CLP in those areas, and grease on the hinge surfaces.

I tried to grease the lugs once, and it made a big mess. Grease doesn't seem to want to stay in that area.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've got a 686 UL and a 687SP II that are both seveal years old and have had thousands of rounds through them. Both still tight, with lever still to right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine fell off...while loaded! had to have a gunsmith lock it back in. I think a few of our 686 WOS got through without having the level locked on. Otherwise I love the gun. Great value. Shoots and feels like the $3500 and much higher 686's

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I don't have a Beretta currently but I would like to in the future. What does the lever position mean and where is it supposed to be? I assume y'all are talking about the lever used to break open the barrels? Is this only on the O/Us or on the SxS as well?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for in the input.

Another question - Does the lever stop at the same spot if released with the barrel off? In other words, does the barrel prevent it from moving further left, or something inside the action?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
rta108 said:
Thanks for in the input.

Another question - Does the lever stop at the same spot if released with the barrel off? In other words, does the barrel prevent it from moving further left, or something inside the action?
The fit of the locking lugs within the holes in the barrel shoulders is what dictates the lever position. As the holes in the shoulders wear, the lugs seat progressively deeper, and therefore the latch moves progressively leftward. Once you run out of movement, an oversized U bolt can be fitted and the lever will be restored to the original location.

So with the barrels off the action, the lever goes all the way to the middle, just as it would with worn shoulders. it needs to do this to compensate for wear.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Mine is dead center. Then again I have over 50,000 rounds through my gun. Needless to say it opens rather easily. It still locks up tight though and works as well now as it did the day I bought it.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Simple job for a gunsmith. Oversize lugs (actually a U bolt) which compensate for wear in the holes are available as standard replacement parts and that's usually all it needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts