Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a 20ga/28ga combo set to cover quail shooting and some clays. Had liked a Franchi Veloce best, but now have found a 686 (or 686S?) that just seems to fit me better. Also more expensive, however.

I like the store, smallish with very helpful people and they seem very honest. I can get the combo gun for $2395. Don't really want to shop around too much, but otherwise don't know how to judge if this is a good deal.

Not big on the glossy wood, but this is my first gun and I'm more focussed on function and value at this point. I've been shooting borrowed RRL 20's and 28's for a couple of years.

Would appreciate all comments, besides just on the price. This has been a great website for a novice to learn. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Price doesn't sound too bad to me, if it is in pretty good shape. If new, it sounds like a great price. Berettas are well known and loved, and should last longer than the alloy framed Veloce.

Are you planning on shooting the 28 in a class that won't allow 20 gauge? If not, I don't quite see what is to be gained with the 28 gauge barrels. A 20 will do anything the 28 will do, including shoot 3/4 oz loads, if you reload. If you shoot a 28 gauge much, you'll need to reload anyway unless you are rich. If you are looking to save weight by carrying a 28 instead of a 20, you won't do it this way. The 28 gauge barrels may actually be heavier than the 20's in order to fit the same frame, but I doubt they would be enough heavier to cut recoil or smooth your swing significantly.

G

·
28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge Beretta frame are indeed heavier than 20 gauge barrel/frame. With 28" barrels the 28 gauge weighs about 6#'s 4oz. the 20 gauge about 2 oz lighter. Beretta does make a scaled 28 gauge frame but it is not that much lighter, around 6#'s. -Dick

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I have one of those 686 2-barrel sets, and the 28 ga barrels are a little heavier. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing. I like very light guns for shooting clays, but there is a potential problem with guns that are too light. They are hard to swing smoothly and control well. I don't think I would be able to shoot well with a gun that is lighter than the 20 ga part of this set.

I don't quite see what is to be gained with the 28 gauge barrels
What is to be gained is fun. I enjoy shooting the 28 ga more than the 20. Why? Its hard to say, but it just seems to be a lot of fun to actually hit difficult targets with a little shell in a little gun. In spite of the weight, the 28 ga looks and feels smaller than the 20, because the barrels are so slim. The 28 hits targets almost as well as the 20, and a heck of a lot better than the .410. To me, a 20 ga doesn't seem all that much different from a 12 ga, but the 28 ga certainly is different.

I don't like .410's, because it is so da%*ed hard to hit anything with one.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the good feedback.

I guess the 20/28 combo is attractive to me because I preferred the RRL 28 to the RRL 20 while quail hunting. But... if I can only have one gun (current understanding with my darling wife), I thought a 20 would be the most versatile for quail and clays.

I liked a Franchi Veloce 20, and when I learned it could be had as a 20/28 combo I got juiced in that direction (hey, it's still only one gun, right?). Now I've found I like the Beretta 20 even more.

I also suspect I'd like the Beretta 20 as well as the RRL 28 for quail. Maybe I should just return to my one gun/20 ga logic? If I do, how high in the Beretta "family tree" do I have to rise in order to get away from the plasticy-looking wood?

Thanks once more!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I believe the SP II Sporting comes with an oil finish. I've got a SP II Field and it has a gloss finish. If you dislike glossy finishes, it would probably be best to have a good hands-on look before you buy. Actually, that is probably a good plan anyway, to make sure you like the way the gun feels.

One question you need to answer is if this will be a gun you will carry a long way after quail, or if you perhaps hunt from a jeep, wagon, or horseback. Do you shoot mostly quail, or mostly clays? What I'm getting at here is that if you do a lot of long distance walking, a light gun is really nice. If you do a lot of shooting, and not that much walking, a heavier gun is nicer. This cuts recoil and steadies your swing. If you shoot a lot of sporting clays, a moderate weight 12 gauge might even be better, but you said you liked the feel of the 28 gauge RRL, so you probably wouldn't be satisfied with that. A good compromise might be a 20 gauge SP II Sporting. They are still pretty light, but have a wider rib and heavier stock than a field SP II, so it should be a little less whippy, and kick less too.

Bottom line: Shop around for what you like, keeping the "lots of walking vs. lots of shooting" thing in the back of your mind.

This may have confused you even more, but hopefully it gives you some things to consider before buying. Good luck to you! :wink:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am looking at the same set. Check out these sites for new and used guns
www.gunsamerica.com
www.gunbroker.com
www.aucionarms.com

I've seen used sets go for less then $2k. Good luck!

Van

PS Another option is to get a 20g and have Cole Gun (www.colegun.com) fit a 28g barrel on it later. I am also considering this option to save some money.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks to all who have been generous with advice, both here and on the gun opinions board. One thing about this website... people are very helpful and aren't just out there flamng each other and grinding axes.

Based on all the feedback, I'm now leaning away from the combo. Since my prime motive is quail hunting, with clays as a fun way to get better, I think I'm heading to the 20 ga gun. I doubt I'll ever go the waterfowl route, but if I get seriously hooked on clays I'll look for a 12 (by then my wife will be used to the idea of a gun in the house). If I want a light, quick 28 someday I'll look for one, but it really would be the "third" gun, not the first or second.

One thing is for sure... it sure is fun looking. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts