Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was recently purchasing ammo and overheard a trap shooter ask the manager for 7.5 shot ammo. The manager said he only had 8-shot and the customer refused to buy it saying “8-shot will ruin my score”.

Very curious to hear opinions on this

· Registered
456 Posts
I shoot #7.5 or #8 a lot, it's a mind thing. I usually shoot whatever is on top on my ammo stash.

Heck, I've shot the Winchester AA's low noise, low recoil (980 fps, .90 ounce #9, min dram) from the 27 yard line .... Just to prove it could be done.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shoot #7.5 or #8 a lot, it's a mind thing. I usually shoot whatever is on top on my ammo stash.

Heck, I've shot the Winchester AA's low noise, low recoil (980 fps, .90 ounce #9, min dram) from the 27 yard line .... Just to prove it could be done.
I’ve gotta ask. How did you shoot from 27yrds with AA’s moving only 980fps?

· Registered
1,575 Posts
The results will show with names on the score-board , while those who have the intestinal fortitude to
understand energy per pellet and distance will be , taking most of the money home , if not all !
Premium shot does have value , while good shooters take advantage of both size and density !

· Registered
27,992 Posts
Shot in shotgun shells isn't like a projectile in single bullet ammo. Shot isn't made in a very precise manner. It isn't perfectly round and not every pellet is the exact same weight.
Better made shot is round open up a Gold Nitro or similar one on a cookie sheet - it will roll all over the sheet

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Analyzing the ballistic performance of a round ball , as in lead shot propelled like a knuckleball is very
optionable as each one of us has two elbows ! Ballistics tells us , weight in motion sustains trajectory .
Distance of the shot can be altered (somewhat) with pattern density , within reason , but energy per/pellet
really is the advantage , you'd think ? There have been far to many good shooters along with those who
shoot from the fence that size does matter , why change that success in shooting poorly made to small
of shot ?

· Registered
456 Posts
I’ve gotta ask. How did you shoot from 27yrds with AA’s moving only 980fps?
Just takes time to figure out the lead, like any ammo.
I shot them all the time before my neck surgery, it's all I could shoot without causing really bad pain. Now I'm can shoot anything without a problem.

· Registered
1,661 Posts
Good to know. Had no idea that was the case for factory new
Sporting Arms and Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) has voluntary industry standards published in the American National Standards which include:

1) Pellet size variations allow for +/- one pellet size (+/- .010" dia.) of variation in “game” loads and +/- ½ pellet size (+/- .005" dia.) of variation in “target” loads,

2) Load weight variations can range from +4% to -7% in game loads and +3% to -5% in target loads,

3) Pellet counts per ounce can vary by +/- 10% for both game and target loads, and

4) Load velocity can vary by +/- 90 fps for both game and target loads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts