Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps somebody can save me a little time and frustration. I quit loading 20's for many years and recently started up again feeding 3/4 loads through my newly aquired model 12. They are great and smash skeet targets.

But now I've got the bug to use that gun on dove and want to go with 7/8. I remember reading that it's tough to fit 7/8 in today's hulls (I never had a problem 40 years ago). I can read a recipe but am trying to save some trial and error hassles. Any suggestions? I thought I remember reading here that orange dusters are best for 7/8 oz. loads.

I'll be using current Remington hulls but also have both old and new style Winchester Compression and HS too. Plenty of International Clays, Unique, Green Dot (no application methinks) and Longshot on hand.

I have new style AA20, Rxp 20, 20S1 wads and orange dusters are sold locally. I'll only need a couple of boxes a year but will spring for a bag of different wads or other powder if I must. Except for occasional dove hunts I'll stick with 3/4 for all my 20 ga. skeet shooting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
There's no reason your RXP20's shouldn't have good fit with 7/8oz. Unique and Longshot are the best choices from the powders you listed. The 20S1 wads will work if you have some 20ga Federals around.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I use Rem hulls, Unique powder and RXP 20 wads. Works great for 7/8. Never had a problem with that combination.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
beammeupscotty said:
I use Rem hulls, Unique powder and RXP 20 wads. Works great for 7/8. Never had a problem with that combination.
Same here. I also use AA hulls, and a WIN 209 primer with Unique and RXP 20 wads. Works just fine.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I can't imagine there's a problem getting 7/8 oz in a 20 ga hull. 7/8 oz is the standard 20 ga target load for skeet. Go to the Alliant reloading site. There are dozens of loads for all combinations of hulls, wads and powders.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Rem Sport Load hulls, W209 or Fio 616 primer, 15.4 gr. Unique powder, Orange Duster or Clay Buster CB1078-20 wad, 7/8 oz., #8 mag. shot.

Right at 1180 fps and 10,000 psi.

Loads, crimps and shoots great, very mild recoil. My grandson has killed a bunch of doves with this load this season!

Good luck.

·
Administrator
23,249 Posts
beammeupscotty said:
If you use a new AA-HS hull, a new WWAA 20 wad and a powder that is not real dense and try to crimp over top of 7/8 oz, you might run into a tite situation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was loading AAHS with WAA20 and SR7625 and 7/8 ounce. All looked good and crimps were fine. But after sitting for a month or so I noticed the crimps were starting to open up enough to let the shot roll out. I have also loaded STS with same and have not noticed a problem with them so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts