Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not find any Winchester or Remington primers at a price I want to pay, but can get CCI 209s at $20.00 a thousand. I was using a load in 12 ga WAA with the Claybuster Lightening wad, and Clays powder. I found a load on Hodgon's website of

Win AA cases
CCI 209SC primers
16gr. Clays powder
WAA12L Wad
@7600psi and 1250fps

What I was wondering is can I use GreenDuster Wads in this load as on Hogdon's website they list the WAA12SL as being interchangeable with the WAA12L in 7/8 loads, and the GreenDuster as be the same as the WAA12SL wad. I am not so worried about the crimp as I am the pressure of the load.

Thanks for your assistance, this not being able to get the primers is getting very old.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
The Green Duster is interchangeable with the WAA12SL and will work fine.

An even better economical wad for 7/8 oz. is the CB0178-12, a clone of the WAA12L and slightly better suited to 7/8 oz., which fills its shot cup exactly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw that also, but our club does not stock that wad so it would cost more than the $6.00 I can get the GreenDusters for. I have loaded the GreenDusters in the past and realize that it is not perfect, but I can get my machine adjusted to give a fairly good crimp even with the load not quite filling the shot cup. I only use this load to shoot pratice skeet.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The sp primers from cci are hotter than the regular 209's.You won't hurt anything but may notice slightly reduced velocity and a barrel that is not as clean-use IF you have to -you are ok-BUT remember to stick by the manual unless you are an old fart who can give advice :lol: 8) :roll: :twisted:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a old fart, a cheap old fart to make matters worse. I shot this load last week and it worked for me. After I stocked up on GreenDusters and CCI primers the club manager informed me he was getting Win209s in so I can go back to the Win209s and the Claybuster Lightening wads. I will use the CCIs in the 28 ga. and save the GreenDusters for another time.

Thanks everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.