Shotgun Forum banner

7/8oz Shells

6K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  Ventrib 
#1 ·
Was looking at some Fiocchi 7/8oz 1350fps shells. Was curious what the recoil would be comparable to? Generally I shoot 1oz 1200-1250fps. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

#49 ·
Good stuff. Given the horrible BC of lead shot... 150 fps advantage at the muzzle gets you only ~50 fps increase at a 40 yd target. I'll never trade a low velocity, comfortable, good patterning load for a high velocity "advantage". Just like choke selection... pick something that works and clear your mind to the job at hand.

#6 ·
I purchased a flat to try on closer to midrange Fitasc presentations. Shot through Perazzi/Wilkinson 19 & 25thou. The softer lead @ 1350 hammers them! My initial perception, felt pretty stout. After rolling smoke, could hardly feel them. To me, felt comparable to a 1oz. 1,250-1,280.? Great Load!

#11 ·
My experience w/ 7'8th at 1350 is IM choke is required to make them into a useful pattern. YMMV

Reactions: 250826
#14 ·
Me , too.

I got some of the 7/8ths @1350 and hated them. I am more a 7/8th at 1160 -- an actual B&P load, which I can no longer find.

#16 ·
I've shot a few flats of the B&P's which I bought for my wife. She has shot 10 flats over time. I wish I could still get them but since 2020 , I have not found a place they are available.

Reactions: 250826
#21 ·
I shoot 90-100 sporting clays targets almost every week with a 12 gauge, 6.4 pound Fabarm ELOS D2 and 7/8 oz reloads at 1,300 fps and IC/MOD chokes. The recoil is so light, I'm sure I could shoot 500 a day. You do have to pay attention to shot size, pattern density and choke. This is my all purpose round (90%+ of my reloads) for any clay game with hard #8.5s. A few more pellets than 1 oz of 8s. Added velocity compensates a bit for lighter pellet weight in terms of momentum. I have several flats of Remington Premier 7/8 oz #7.5 at 1,350 fps that I bought for the hulls. Requires a lot of choke to pattern at distance (35+ yards), where the higher momentum of the 7.5s make a difference. They'll be reloaded for years with 1 oz #8 at 1,300 fps.

#23 · (Edited)
Those sound like dream loads. I never understood why people propagate Pterydactyl 1-1/8 oz 1350 FPS loads for clay shooting.

I've shot the Fiocchi 7/8 oz loads and they feel basically like a slow 1 oz load in my Semi Auto. Only difference in function with them is they don't eject as far. If you have a fixed breech gun they will obviously kick a little more but they'll still be very comfy.

#24 ·
[QUOTE="StanofKansas, post: 4694200, member: 268052I never understood why people propagate Pterydactyl 1-1/8 oz 1350 FPS loads for clay shooting.
[/QUOTE]

I've been shooting clay targets for 50+ years and I don't believe I ever saw anyone use 1350 fps loads for clay targets*. If I did they were probably a newbie that showed up with field loads because they had not learned better.

*I understand some skeet shooters use 410s loaded to that velocity because they think they "pattern better".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.