Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,
Wondering if anyone can help with some big bore 8 gauge reloading?
I have a supply of empty, new 8 gauge hulls that I want to reload. Problem is they are the "industrial" hulls with the extra band around the brass (think of a "belted magnum" cartridge for a rifle). As I understand these banded hulls are meant for kiln guns to blast the clinkers from the insides of steel melting kilns. The reason for the band is so they cant be chambered in a sporting gun (pressures way too high).
Anyway I know there is a lot of talk on the internet about either resizing these shells to swage down the band, or actually peeling off the band. Both processes are intended to make them fit the chambers of the big shotguns. I just cant find anyone who has actually done it.
Ive even heard some goons have had the chambers of their shotguns cut to accommodate the industrial hulls, but the thought of doing that to a grand old 8 gauge shotgun is akin to slapping Mother Theresa in the face.
My question is does anyone have any advice/experience in performing either one of these methods? Im not sure if there is a sizer being made out there for this purpose? Or would I need to go to the local machine shop?
I have heard that the method of peeling the band off actually works the best, but does anyone know how to go about it? Not sure if making a special fitting to hold the shell in a lathe would be the way to go, or just attack the band with a razor knife and some pliers to get it off?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Zach
1901lever

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I would call Ballistic Products.
They sold them for a while I believe.
I have one in my house somewhere that a club member was loading for an old English SxS.
When I see him again, I will ask him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.
PR wasn't much help. They do have a roll crimp tool for an 8 ga though so that's great.
I have seen the all brass shells from both RMC and Gad Custom Reloading. Problem is they are lathe turned and $15 each. I can get brand new industrial hulls for about a buck apiece.
Anyway ive been doing some more digging on the subject and I think im going to try making a fixture for my small lathe and try turning them down myself.
If that's a bust its off to the machine shop to see if he can make some sizing rings for me.
Thanks,
Zach
1901lever

1 - 4 of 4 Posts