Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, Hello! First post.

Looking for some help here. I just bought a used 828U for sporting clays. The deal was too nice to pass up and the gun is gorgeous. I have had out on the course 3 times now.

Got through the first 100 and my trigger finger was bleeding (rubbing on the receiver).

I tried adjusting my grip in the next round (different day, trigger finger mostly healed) and the trigger started biting into the backside of the trigger finger. My finger was being pinched between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard. Again improper grip.

Another problem I have is if I advance my hand forward, the trigger finger is away from the receiver so it doesn't rub, then my middle finger knuckle gets whacked by the trigger guard.
I assume this is because my rear hand grip is too loose

Is there anything I can do to rectify this? is the stock just a hair too long in front for my grip to be comfortable? is there an adjustment I can make? Can I shave the stock down on the front side to reduce the grip length?

Some other notes: I have a Benelli Super Sport as well, I have no issues with this gun at all. It certainly has less kick than the O/U. I also let my buddy shoot it for the rest of the round today and he loved it. No issues at all and as a novice shooter did amazing with the gun.

828 U Stock Shims are as-is out of the box
Winchester target 1200 FPS
1 1/8 oz

Any help is certainly appreciated.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My buddy has this issue on a 686. He uses a golf glove. I call him a *****. That gun doesn't have a moveable trigger. I assume the 828 doesn't either.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Getting beat up by the trigger or trigger guard is often a failure to keep the butt firmly on your shoulder and maintaining a proper stance so as to help control the recoil of each shot.

Ask at the club where you are shooting if you can meet up with a shotgun instructor to help you understand proper stance, mount, and gun fit. Worth paying for a short session with a trained instructor to get you going. I doubt you would have any luck making gun stock adjustments like "shaving the stock" without understanding what proper gun fit is, and why you are having difficulties with that stack-barrel gun.

good luck, garrisonjoe

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
completely agree with Randy, it's a hunting model that has long barrels, it's way too light, and they are notorious for being painful and uncomfortable to shoot.

The deal was too good for a reason...........but that's ok, you live and learn, your options are learn how to deal and adjust, and or get a glove and or tape or something.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
They are not a sporting gun, they are a hunting o/u which is meant to be shot little and carried a lot. Too light, personally I'd look to trade it on a dedicated sporting gun, doesn't have to be fancy, but is meant to be shot a lot and not beat you to death while doing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I thought the receiver was steel and not aluminum. guess not.

Any suggestions on a good place to sell online?

I think my plan right now is to sell my Super Sport and 828U then head down the "Right gun" rabbit hole.

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
Some ideas. For sporting I think you need a gun between 8 and 9 lbs. As I get older (I'm 67 now.) , I tend to shoot my lighter guns better. 8.5 lbs and 8.25 lbs.

A good recoil pad helps a lot. I shoot light loads , b/c it takes almost nothing to break a clay. There is no advantage--over time--to hot heavy loads. I find a 31.5 and 32 inch bbls to be about equal and better then extra long or shorter bbls.

Good luck in your journey.

Reactions: Cryofix

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
Cryofix,

Do yourself a favor, keep the SS. It is very adjustable, low recoil, fairly dynamic and easy to keep running for a very long time. If nothing else it would be very good backup gun.

I know I own one. Going on 14 years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cryofix,

Do yourself a favor, keep the SS. It is very adjustable, low recoil, fairly dynamic and easy to keep running for a very long time. If nothing else it would be very good backup gun.

I know I own one. Going on 14 years old.
Thank you. I have already come to that conclusion. For now, I am putting a new O/U on hold. I will focus on my grips and how to make them better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Any help is certainly appreciated.
Where do you put a gun? If it's to the right, in a "shoulder joint", recoil moves shoulder too much - same result as you have. If grip is not optimal (too long) - trigger guard will rub/tear your trigger finger.
If you put it a little bit to the left - "to the rib cage" and lean a bit forward (upper body) - should fix the problem with rubbing/hitting. BUT if grip is too "long" and if you have to move your hand higher on the grip (hunting style, not like a pistol - sporting style) - you'll have to raise your elbow

I have same issue with "hunting" guns - grip radius and distance to trigger is too long for me almost on any hunting style shotgun. Very comfortable for carrying with gloves on, super uncomfortable for shooting a 100 of sporting clays.

try to hold it like a hunting gun:
Camouflage Military camouflage Ballistic vest Military uniform Air gun

should feel like "home" :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can mount, cheek and shoot with no issues, my problem is my wrists. They are not flexible enough to get a really good grip on the handle or the forend. On my AR I use a 45 degree grip like this one.
Font Gun accessory Metal Bicycle part Fashion accessory

I am not so much worried about the forend, but the grip to trigger, it would be more comfortable and controlling for me to add an inch in front and a maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch palm swell. When I shoulder, my hand comes away from the grip and does not sit flat or comfortable. My thumb does not seat over the top and my middle finger is not even on the grip.

I can still shoot in the 80's on the blue course but would love to feel more in control of my shots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts