Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a college student on a budget who's looking at getting his first shotgun (too far from home to use the family's A-5). I like to feel (and pricetag) of a pump more than an autoloader, and my shooting is mainly sporting clays with some pheasant hunting in the winter. So far, I've narrowed my search to the Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Browning BPS, and Benelli Nova. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
985 Posts
GO TO A GUN SHOW!!!You can buy good used pumps for under $150 at a gun show. I bought an auto for $100 and I use it for pheasent and clays, it is my primary shooter. Go check out a show you might be supprised at what you find. Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
See my reply in the General Forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Barnard,If you're going to purchase a Remington 870, do yourself a huge favor and get the Wingmaster and NOT the Express.The Mossberg 500 is a good utility shotgun that will serve you for many years, despite it's looks, rattling forearm, etc.The BPS is a good shotgun, but the tend to be on the pricey side.The Benelli Nova is $350 at most gun shops. It has more features than most other brands and has less maintenance due to the synthetic stocks and camo finish. However, since I own one I tend to favor it. :D I've owned the 870 Express Super Mag and Mossberg 835 and wasn't as impressed with them as I have been with my Benelli Nova.Good luck with your choices!Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to say the 870 Express (most of the differences between the express and wingmaster are cosmetic). I just bought one myself and enjoy it. I'm going to buy a Mossberg Maverick before next duck season too (synthetic stock and I won't mind shooting up the barrel of a $160 gun with steel shot. plus the aluminum receiver won't rust . . .). I've also heard good things about the BPS and Nova but they run a bit higher in price (and as a fellow college student, I'm aware of the budget constraints that can be at hand. eat this week or new gun? hmm . . . there's ramen noodles in the cabinet ). Don't know about your area, but I'd personally skip on the gun shows. The couple I went to in the SC upstate area were a waste of time and money. Dealers peddling overpriced guns that looked like they had been drug through 'nam and back. A beat up 20 year old gun in most cases was going for 85-90% of the retail of a new gun. Only thing that was marginally well priced was the ammo, and even that was cheaper mail order.

·
Registered
103 Posts
get the 870... the browning is tempting but the with the vast amount of stuff you can get for the 870 is almost endless..... chokes, barrels, buttstock/forestock, and even scope mounts that slide over the reciever... good luck

G

·
I JUST PURCHASED A REMINGTON 870EXPRESS SUPER MAG, IT WAS A LITTLE EXPENSIVE($339 AFTER TAX, BUT I KNOW YOU CAN FIND IT CHEAPER)AND IT HAS TO BE THE SMOOTHEST SHOOTING GUN I HAVE EVER SHOT, IT OUT SHOT MY 1100(20 *****), ADN YOU CAN BUY A VARIETY OF CHOKES, TACTICAL ACCESSORIES, BARRELLS, ETC.,ETC.AND ON TOP OF THAT, IF YOU EVER GET INTO TURKEY OR GOOSE HUNTING, IT CHAMBERS 3 1/2" SHELLS, WHICH IS REALLY GOOD
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
After being dissapointed by the BPS I went shopping for an 870 express. I decided it was worth the extra fifty bucks to get the Super Magnum. For one it weighs the same as the express with the same barrel length. Most importantly it has a much better recoil pad. It comes with the old style pad with the chambers, or however they are described. The regular 870 Express, as well as the 3" wingmaster for that matter, come with the cheapy solid rubber pad. I may never even use 3 1/2" shells, but I have the option. More importantly, I have no sore shoulder.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have owned (1) Mossberg 500 ported combo and (3) 870s and now one Benelli Nova.
Of course in reto spec...I am pleased with the NOVA!
Welcome to the 21st century! 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts