Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 870 Express (12g) with what seems to be an occasional jamming problem. After a shot, the gun won't let me pump through another round. It almost seems as if it locks up or hangs up on something. It usually releases after a couple of tugs on the fore end. This is obviously a concern from a shooting point of view (i.e., no second shot). I also worry whether there is a safety issue as well. This sound familiar to anyone?

This question occurred after reading an interesting discussion in the main forum about the quality of an 870 Express vs Wingmaster, the gist being that the Express model is more prone to malfunctions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Browning BPS. Mine happened more frequently and I eventually got rid of the gun. This is usually not the type of malfunction addressed in the Express vs Wingmaster debate, as it is usually ammo related. What was happening in my gun was that the brass of some shells would expand just enough in the chamber to wedge itself in there. This was because the chamber was on the large side of tolerences giving room for the expansion. If you gun only does this on cheaper shells then you may be okay. Mine did it on every shell 3" and larger (because if the high dram equivalents). You can try different types of ammo, or have a smith measure the chamber like I did. I hope yours works out better than my Browning.

G

·
I have that problem every couple rounds when I shoot my express but only with promo shells.when I use premium ammo it cycles perfect.Is it just me or do premium shell slide in the magazine buttery smooth.*purrss*

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Shoot some better ammo, or try different brands. Some guns are picky.

G

·
High guys,

i'am using a 870 for steel plate, so i need that next shot fast too. The same problem occurs sometimes. I blame it on the ammo. Smooth shelled ammo sticks to the chamber. So get ribbed shells and cycle fast so the shell doesn't get the opportunity to expand.

good luck

grandaddy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey shunger, I thought I had a problem with my brand-new Wingmaster until I realized that I was pulling the forend to hard against my shoulder. This will cause the action to lock up and not cycle another round. (The same as pulling on the forend while manually trying to depress action release) I don't know if this will help you but try to not pull on the forend too hard while shooting. This ammendment to my shooting practice virtually eliminated the lock up problem for me. (See my heading under "870 jamming/problem resolved".
Good luck!

G

·
I'll second what whiteowl said becaue I was having the same problem. I noticed that when it appeared to jam, If i pushed the forearm forward a pinch then try again it would eject the spent shell everytime. I attribute that to user error on my part (having tension on the forearm while firing) versus gun malfunction. May or may not be the case with you, but worth trying.

G

·
I have er had the same problem with my 870. So I took it to my gunsmith. It was bought at wallmart. He ran a box of shells through it charged me $15 and said it was fine. I said BS so he bet me another box of shells and we went outside and he told me to shoot, so i did and it jammed and i proceded to laugh. So then he cleaned the jam and banged the box of shells on his head like it was a m-16 clip hes a Vietnam vet :D and ran 12 through the flippin thing without a hich. Then he laughed, and proceded to tell me that i was "short shucking it" It must be Iowa corn bred terminology. but anyways i wasnt pulling the pump all the way back through the full cycle and that 870's have no tollerance for this. And said jokingly many a cowboy have died in gunfights because the got carried away and shortshucked the pump. So i tried again and he told me to elaborate the stroke, pull it back farther than its supposed to go, and push it forward the same. And I too ran 2 sets through without a jam. So i paid him another $15 for shells and bought another box for practice. I havnt had a jam yet. Just my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses - I suspect some of you may have it on it and this is a shooter problem rather than a gun problem. It makes more sense because I went for a few years without doing much shooting with this gun (which never had problems before), and now as I am shooting more again all of a sudden it jams. I probably developed the bad habit of either "short shucking" or pulling too hard on the foreend. Oh darn - another reason to go out to the range!

G

·
jwine said:
I have that problem every couple rounds when I shoot my express but only with promo shells.when I use premium ammo it cycles perfect.Is it just me or do premium shell slide in the magazine buttery smooth.*purrss*
I see that u guys are having a hard time with shells in your 870's. If u are using a remington 870, try some of remington shells they may surprise you!! I have a 870 wingmaster light contour and I've never had a problem with shells getting stuck or the forearm locking out. All you really need is one well placed shot and the rest is history. Good luck to you guys and please try remington shells they really handle well in any remington arms.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
check your hand position on the forearm, if you are to far to the rear it can cause the short-stroking.
By moving your hand to the middle or top of the forearm, it may help with the problem?
Also don't be shy in giving the forearm a good pump when shucking them shells, you won't hurt the gun!!
My Wingmaster is 30+ years old and it will work with any type shells, cheapies or other-wise! If it didn't I'd dumped it years ago, any pump should be capable of handling any factory or good reloads made for it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.