Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...new to shotguns and new to this forum and just want to say HI and ask a question: I just bought a new, 870 express, black in color, 7+1 shot, 18" barrel. On the receipt it says: "Riot model" but I can't find anything on Rem's website about a "Riot model". It has a synthetic stock (no pistol grip) and can accept 3" shells...anybody heard of a riot model before? Different specs? Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
advantage1one said:
Hi everyone...new to shotguns and new to this forum and just want to say HI and ask a question: I just bought a new, 870 express, black in color, 7+1 shot, 18" barrel. On the receipt it says: "Riot model" but I can't find anything on Rem's website about a "Riot model". It has a synthetic stock (no pistol grip) and can accept 3" shells...anybody heard of a riot model before? Different specs? Thanks for your help...
First of all, welcome to the forum. OK, as to your receipt - was this written by a gun store salesperson? If so, don't assume they wrote it correctly.

If you bought it new it should have come with a box and the build particulars and order number will be one the end of the box. What does it say? The Remington 870 Synthetic 7 shot 12 gauge on Remington's web site is order # 25077.

And the 7 shots includes one in the chamber so it should be 6+1, not a 7+1. Where did you get the 7+1 info? Have you tried loading the magazine to the max with the chamber empty? How many did it hold?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
don't get me goin, austin... sooooooooo true about gun shop salespeople. don;t wanna paint them all with a broad brush, but i've overheard things said by salespeople to newbs that would make you go :shock:

good advice, read the end of the box... any 870 can be a riot model, it all depends and when and where you use it :lol:

·
Registered
488 Posts
The term "riot model" is just one of several names given to a shotgun whos main feature is a short barrel of around 18". Some call it tactical or police model. I think the term riot model comes from police terminology.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My Grandfather always refers to short barreled shotguns as "riot guns." Its probably just a terminology thing that was assigned by the retailer, not Remington. "Riot gun" was the old buzz word. Now we all say tactical ,home defense or CQB. From what you described, you have a 870HD (home defense). They make a similar tactical model, but it says "Tactical" on it. Likewise for the Police models.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here in Toronto - in typical Canadian fashion - the police don't have a 'Riot Squad' ...they have a 'Public Order Unit'. I'm guessing that the phrase 'Public Order Unit' probably came into use at about the same time (and for the same reasons) that they stopped being a 'Police Force' and instead became a 'Police Service'.

Heck, even the Canadian Armed Forces dropped the word 'Armed' awhile back (they're now officially referred to as the 'Canadian Forces')

It's all silly political optics dreamed up by hand-wringing politicians intent on not 'offending' anyone...

::sigh::

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
dang, terry... that is sad... you wouldn't want the armed forces to offend anyone. politicians :roll:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
alley sweepers :wink:

every time i hear "crowd pleasers" i think of the line from Broken Arrow in regard to the beefy nukes being carried on the bomber

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Several years ago KY Imports ran a special on some trade-in shotguns they referred to in their ad as "870 Police Riotguns."
A friend and I had our FFL order two, expecting to get some used 870 Police models. Silly us.
Well, the were Wingmasters that had been bought by a PD, and might have actually seen a riot, but then again they might not have. I called and complained about their ad, and we sent them back.
Beware slick marketing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I bought my 870 a year back on the printed receipt it said the same thing "870 riot shotgun". I didnt think anything of it, its a normal 870 express 6+1 18inch cyl, with plastic stock. I think they are calling it the HD model now. Enjoy the new toy!

-Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts