Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a 26" barrell and full size stock for my 870 express youth 20ga, and I can't seem to find them...not even on Remington's site. Does anyone know where I can find these, and if so, is it even worth the money...i.e. can I just as easily buy a new 20 ga 870 express for the money I will spend doing this? Also, are there any other differences b/w the youth and the regular version?? I am only thinking of doing this because I got the gun when I was about 10, which was quite awhile ago, and now it is just collecting dust. ( I can't stand to see a gun go unused).

Thanks guys,

CT

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
A barrel cost darn near what a gun would, don't they? :?
What we did with my son's 20 gauge 1200 youth model was to save it for the folks that are sized challenged.(you know small framed people?). Works out well, no need for someone to use my 12 gauge Wingmaster or 1187 skeet gun, which would be way to big for them. 8)

·
Registered
784 Posts
CT,

I have a couple of those 20 gauge 870 Express youth models that I use for the grandkids and guests. The recievers and magazine tubes are the same as the regular models. With the shortened length of pull the stock is adequate for adult shooters when hunting in heavy clothing.

However they easily adapted for use with lighter clothing by adding a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad which brings the length of pull up to the standard. If more height is need at the comb a Kickeaze adhesive comb pad easily fixes that in varying thicknesses.

If a longer barrel length is desired to balance the gun for the shooter, I use the both the PolyChoke II screw-in adjustable choke for more weight forward and flexability in the field in additon to the standard RemChoke tubes. By switching between the vented and non vented sleves on the PolyChoke the weight forward can be ajusted even further up to 24" from the 21" standard youth barrel, which for our hunting here also works pretty well.

Hope that's of some help in keeping that gun in service.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Recoil pad and a spacer or two would probably solve the LOP issue but add in the price of a barrel (I know there are some non-Remington made barrels in 12, not sure about the 20) and like wb noted, you darn near have the cost of a new gun.

There is a silver lining though, you now have a tailor made excuse to go peruse the gun rack and buy a new gun or two.

·
Registered
301 Posts
about 2 months ago I purchased a stock direct from remington.....what I did is call the plant in Illion NY and asked to speak to customer service .......I used the same foreend and now have a new butt stock....adult size....cost me 85.77 plus shipping...........good luck

·
Registered
482 Posts
There are several stocks listed on ebay now, always plenty of choices there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts