Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying the 12ga. 870 express. What can I types of ammunition can I shoot with?

buckshot
slugs
sabot
Etc.

What would you recommend to use shooting at paper targets at an outdoor range?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
rifled slugs are for smooth bores. seems counter intiuitve, but it means the slug itself is rifled and spins in a smooth bore.

I'd shoot anything you could afford to..the cheapo bird shot is most economical.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
You can shoot any standard 12 gauge shell that is equal to or shorter than the chamber length, including sabots. The sabots will probably not be very accurate, but you can shoot them.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
DO2G said:
I'm considering buying the 12ga. 870 express. What can I types of ammunition can I shoot with?

buckshot
slugs
sabot
Etc.

What would you recommend to use shooting at paper targets at an outdoor range?
Anything but sabots and since the express comes with a 3" chamber any thing 3" or shorter.
Which ain't a major worry because most of the stuff people shoot is 2 3/4". Well 99% anyway! :roll:
:idea: I use 7 1/2 dove-quail loads most the time, cheap stuff for informal shooting.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I can shoot slugs thru the barrels i have, and they are all smooth with bead sights.....but i think i will get a rifle sighted smooth bore bbl. Last time i checked, though, i could almost buy a whole Mossberg 500 slug gun at Wal-Mart for very little more.......problems..problems...Wal-Mart causing problems again. :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts