Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an 870 wingmaster, but the modified barrel was bored out to a IC (looks to be about 1"-1.5" worth of bore in). It patterns ok not great, and I'm wondering if its worth the $ to have screw chokes installed, or if I should just get a new/used barrel. Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I think it would be worth the $179 to get the Rem-choked barrel rather than having a choke system put into the old barrel.

·
Premium Member
20,445 Posts
Scatterpattern,

Welcome to Shotgunworld.

I have several questions. How do you know the choke was bored out? It is very difficult to tell by just looking. Have you measured the choke and the bore diameters?

Second, what is your intended use for a full choke if you had it? There is really very little difference in Modified and Full chokes. A modified will put 60% of the shot in a 30" circle at 40 yards, while a full choke will put 70% in the same circle. Mathematically there is a difference, but in actual practice there is seldom a time where a well placed shot with the modified choke won't produce the same killing effect as the same shot from a full choke.

I'm puzzled why you think the existing 30" barrel can't be cut back to 26". Give me a hacksaw and about 10 minutes and I can cut it to any length you want (shorter than its present length). This is exactly what a gunsmith would do.

Purchasing a new barrel may be the way to go, but before I would spend the money for a new barrel, I would ask myself just what my planned usage for the gun is and whether it will do the job I want without spending more money. Since you apparently purchased a used gun to begin with, spending another $179 (or whatever) is going to be a substantial increase in the money you have invested in that gun. You might be better off to just sell the gun, as is, to someone looking for that type gun and buy what you really want. Sometimes spending lots of money on an inexpensive gun is not the best way to go. Of course, I guess you could sell the present barrel and reduce your investment in the gun, but you probably won't get nearly as much for it as a new barrel will cost you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ulysses: thx for the reply: I picked this up from a waterfowling buddy in IA, the wingmaster was in perfect shape, not a scratch on the walnut? stock and well kept. He told me that he had it bored out from full to modified (didn't ask why) the choke diam. is just a hair larger than a dime and match the diam. on a friends modified. I hunt pheasants and now grouse, so the shorter barrels (on borrowed guns) felt 100% better to me in the swing and in my success. I'm not a good shooter but started trap shooting to get better. I just assumed you couldn't cut a 30" barrel back very far (to say 26") or you'd be too open (on the diam).

·
Premium Member
20,445 Posts
Scatterpattern,

Your confusion seems to stem from the mistaken belief that opening up the choke means reducing the barrel length. That just isn't the case, although I'll admit that it CAN be done that way and I have done it on an old shotgun, but that's another story. :)

You could have the choke opened to cylinder bore if you want to and the barrel lenth would remain the same. Or, you could cut off several inches of barrel and have cylinder bore, but I don't think cylinder bore is what you want.

It sounds like you need a shorter barrel for better and faster handling. If that's the case, then you can do one of two things. Either cut off the present barrel to the desired length and have cylinder bore (no choke), or buy a new barrel with a fixed choke that you want or with removable chokes. Good luck. :lol:

G

·
You can get it cut to any legal length and add the screw in chokes. Costs about $85 for chokes (with 3 tubes, I think) and 15 to 25 more to cut the barrel and mount a bead (at Carlsons, check their web site). plus shipping. course you got to pay shipping on the new barrel too if you go that route.

If the new barrel comes with a vent rib and chokes for 175 I think that is the way I would go.

If I liked the gun I would either buy the barrel or get the one on it cut back and choked. 26" would be a nice length for hunting and you should still be able to shoot trap well with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.