Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 870 express supermag that is only in it's second season. First of all, let me just say that i have had nothing but problems with this gun. The camo finish is flaking off in sheets and after the first week it decided to jam when transferring 3.5" shells from the magazine tube into the chamber. The last 2 weekends have exposed a new problem. When i am shooting 3" shells (i don't even bother trying 3.5's anymore) the gun won't let me eject a spent shell. Unlike when loading 3.5's, where the gun would jam upon transferring a new shell into the chamber, the gun now prevents me from even being able to pump the forend and eject a shell. Is this common? Is there an easy solution? I am desperate for help as i am doing an overnight duck trip this weekend. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dear Jon

More than likely, if you are not operating the action too quickly, the carrier may need a slight adjustment for the 3 1/2" shell.

If you are suddently getting failures to extract with shells, you may well have a fouled, or even rusted chamber. If not, try another brand of shell.

Operate the gun slowly, with a positive stop at the rear and at the front. This will not cure sticky extraction.

·
Registered
203 Posts
agree with Conman the 870 express super mag will take the 3.5's with no problem. i've had mine bout 5 years and shot all from 2 3/4 to 3.5 never NEVER had a problem. jonny might be a good idea to find a gunsmith and see if he can give ya some advice.

·
Registered
11,366 Posts
Jon, take the barrel off and polish the chamber inside with a wad of steel wool wrapped around a wooden dowel. Use an electric drill and spin it in the chamber really tight for a minute or so. Won't hurt. Might help. When the chamber gets rusty or fouled with plastic, this is about the only way to polish it out good.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
evbutler said:
Jon, take the barrel off and polish the chamber inside with a wad of steel wool wrapped around a wooden dowel. Use an electric drill and spin it in the chamber really tight for a minute or so. Won't hurt. Might help. When the chamber gets rusty or fouled with plastic, this is about the only way to polish it out good.
I have found this to be true in the majority of Wingmasters as well as the express models.

There is a sharp edge just at the mouth end of the chamber (the end closest to the bolt) and this sharp edge will cause both feeding problems and extraction problems.

In most cases, the extraction problem arises when cheaper shells are used that have the steel rim on them and when it expands it gets stuck on that sharp edge where a brass rim will contract enough to come loose----usually. I have seen times where the brass rims will stich here too.

Just polish it out as evbutler says, and I'll bet it'll work for you.

As to the camo flacking off, I would buy a can of rustoleum and wherever it has flacked off, just paint it a flat grey or something like that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You could address the finish and the functioning at the same time by giving Remington an opportunity to make it all right. I'd send the gun back to the factory and ask them to take care of the problems. My guess is they will take very good care of you. I'd also recommend doing this before you try anything on your own. If you muck with the gun, then Remington will be less likely to assume responsibility.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
You could address the finish and the functioning at the same time by giving Remington an opportunity to make it all right. I'd send the gun back to the factory and ask them to take care of the problems. My guess is they will take very good care of you. I'd also recommend doing this before you try anything on your own. If you muck with the gun, then Remington will be less likely to assume responsibility.
1st of all, I agree you should send the gun back. But for different reasons. My thinking is this, 870's are absolutely notorious for these types of problems I've had several over the years that had had both of the problems you're describing. I've also heard of countless others' having the same problems. It seems like a regular Sunday event that someone asks and gets advice to polish a chamber on an 870. This is something they should have been doing at the factory all along. It's no big deal, do they really save that much money by throwing the guns in a damn box and trucking them out to customers? Maybe if they are held accountable and made to do it right the 2nd time they will brainstorm and start finishing these guns at the factory. :wink: ............Yes you can quite easily fix both problems yourself, and quite quickly at that. Been there done that. But why should you have to do remington's quality control? Send it back to them. They'll have no choice but to fix it. :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ive had the same problem happen to me. My 3" Express (about 6yrs old)just jammed up while unloading after hunting. (Action was clean and ammo wasnt cheap)It just locked up... shell came up from mag before it spit the chambered shell off the bolt.
I had a hard time getting it out... then i let the next one come up and it did it again. I checked it out, thought maybe a problem with the ejector spring, but it seamed plenty strong.
I hadnt tried polishing the chamber,not a bad idea , but it seamed to come out just fine but wouldnt eject off the bolt.
I inspected it, put back together, but didnt find anything. Funny thing is it dosnt do it anymore(Ive tried)?? Sorry, not a very helpful reply but seams to be more common problem than I thought.
Please let us know how this turns out for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.