Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 870 express magnum I bought a few years ago and am planning on making it my primary home protection weapon. Around the time I bought it I also got a Mossberg-branded 18.5" barrel, mag extension and pistol grip stock. Here are my q's:

1. Right now I have a SW 686 as the home protection weapon because I can store it in an easy-to-open in the dark vault. Forgot the brand, but it has a hand-print combo lock you can work in the dark. I am looking for a related device that you can use to store a shotgun - something easy to unlock in the dark, that also lets me store it under the bed and locked up well. Are there any safe storage, easy-to-open in the dark storage devices you know of that will fit in a relatively small space? Maybe something that wraps around the receiver area only?

2. Also I want to make sure I have the right mag spring in the tube. The front of the mag extension comes forward to about 0.5" from the front end of the 18.5" barrel. I think it's considered a 7-shell mag. Does that sound accurate? And, where is a good place to get durable, reliable mag springs for this configuration? I took a quick look at gunsprings.com and didn't see any. Other ideas? And, how often do you change the mag spring?

3. I am considering storing it with a couple shells in the tube, but none in the chamber. With an 870, and stored with no shell in the chamber, does it make sense to store it having activated the trigger? (I think that means hammer in the down position). I know with Glock's you store them like that in an unloaded condition in order to preserve trigger springs.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
1.) I'm looking for something like that (at a reasonable price), too. Let me know if you find something! :)

2.) Sounds like a "7-shot extension" to me too. For springs, try http://www.wilsoncombat.com.
My Wilson spring looks robust. My Tacstar spring looks relatively lightweight. I have no idea whether the Wilson is really any better than any other, though. I change my magazine spring every year. I look at it as cheap insurance.

3.) I don't know if it's really necessary, but it makes sense (I store mine "hammer-down" as well). It eliminates the possibility of spring set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts