Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forums.

I just picked up a brand new remington 870 marine edition for the low low price of $500 (okay, its cheap in Canada).

Now, this is my first "tactical" shotgun, and was really bought just for something fun to shoot coffee cans with :D .... Something seems wrong about that.... My other shotgun is a .410...

The main question I have what sort of upgrades can I do to this particular shotgun? Im curious about a new stock, heat sheild and maybe some sort of optics. Also, are there any upgrades for the magazine? Im just having fun with this gun, so the appearance of the items is somewhat important, but they obviously need to work.

Ben,
Thunder Bay Canada.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. You can put about anything you want on it. The 870 has lots of aftermarket parts available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My main question would probably be... where do I shop?

My other guns are strictly for hunting (.410 and 20 gauge remington) as well as a rifle (tika 306) the only 'mod' to any of them is a Nikon scope on the Tika...

I'd love a new stock, any favorites of users? Same for any favorite mod of anyone!

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Midwayusa has about anything you could want (and is pretty expensive), Brownells, I'm not sure what they have but S&J hardware is in canada so that might save some shipping costs. A good oversized safty is always a good mod. I assume your gun already has an extended mag tube. A good sling is always good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I took the gun out to a pit a few miles from my house and went through a box of slugs.

I must say though... Im really not a fan of this trigger! I realize its not supposed to be spongy, but, this is a little stiff. Any adjustment in this one?

·
Registered
90 Posts
What I found to be a good starting point was looking through the sticky thread called, "Post Pictures of your Tactical Shotgun..." in this forum. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40059

Take your time and gander at what other members have done and pic out mods you like then research more on this forum and google for prices. Time consuming? yes. Enjoyable? HECK YES!

Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
what exactly do you not like about your factory stock? There is nothing wrong with the factory Remington stock other that it is a little long for defensive purposes. However, if it doesn't suit you, there are tons of after market stocks out there, everything from wood stocks to collapsible sage stocks and AR stock adapters. As for the magazine, you can buy magazine extensions from a number of different suppliers that will extend the magazine flush to the end of the barrel and increase the magazine capacity by 2. However, if it were my gun, I would contact forum user "Max100" and ask for one of the extensions that he makes, which will allow you to increase magazine capacity by 3, while still being flush to the end of an 18.5" barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I simply dont find the factory stock all that comfortable... Im not sure why, but I dont.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a colapsable stock, but Im not sure if it's really worth the expense.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
There are a couple good options to consider-
Hogue stocks are top quality, and have a rubbery surface that makes it easy to get a good grip. Available in full and youth lengths. The youth length is very popular for tactical shotguns, because it makes it easy for a full size adult to shoot in a squared up stance, making movement easier.

Speedfeed stocks are also first rate, but don't have the rubbery surface. They are generally most popular for their pistol grip shoulder stocks, which are available in full and youth lengths as well. The full size stock is available with a tube in the stock that holds extra ammunition.

M4 stock adapters are available from Mesa Tactical, Ace, and Calvary Arms, among others. This tends to be a rather expensive modification.

Knox makes a fairly cheap M4 style collapsible stock as well, called the NRS. It is a full stock, rather than an adapter, so you have to use the collapsible stock supplied with the kit, as opposed to the adapters above that will work with any milspec AR buffer tube. However, it is very well made for the cost, and is a good alternative to the ever popular ATI M4 stock, which is the same cost as the NRS, and much poorer quality.

You can also go back to basics and find a Remington wood Police furniture set for the old style riot gun look.

Whatever you do, post pictures, particularly if you go with the last option!

·
Registered
138 Posts
IMHO I recommend adding the following items. You can get them from Brownells.

Brownells Latigo Adjustable Sling

Speedfeed 1 stock (holds four extra shells)

XS tritium big dot front sight

Vang Comp Big Dome Safety

Thats it.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Luke definitely has a good list, but I would recommend:
Hogue short shot if you prefer conventional stocks, or Speedfeed IV-S if you prefer pistol grip stocks
Tactical flashlight mounted to forend
Sight and safety as mentioned
Adjustable 2 point sling
Side saddle if you want extra shells

1 - 12 of 12 Posts