Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this forum and would like a little help. I am in the market to buy a remington 870. My uses would be pertaining to home defence and maybe a little clay shooting out in the hills. So I beleive I would need two barrels for this type of usage right? What ones do you reccomend? I was thinking 18 for the HD but I dont know for play8ing out in the hills? But thats what I want is two interchangeable barrles. I have a few other questions below...

I would like to buy from walmart being that I have a charge card and they seem to have good prices. Ive looked on there site and they dont seem to have the "HD" model with the 18" barrel. So would I have to actually modify a stock shotgun to make it a HD? If so what model?

I would like this to be as simple as possible. Your reccomendations would be put to use. Just tell me what and why and cost listed next to it. The few preferences I have is all black Matte (Synthetic) pump action.. also to spend no more then $500 max Please answer as short and swift as possible please. Thanks

·
Banned
473 Posts
You don't need an 18" bbl for HD. There is no practical advantage. Just buy a 26" 870 and learn how to shoot it without jamming it. THAT is far more important than an 18" bbl

·
Banned
473 Posts
A second thought... Few people (new shooters) can shoot a pump without jamming it. I really think that an autoloader is a better HD gun for this reason for almost anyone. Walmart sells a reasonably priced Beretta with a black plastic stock. That gun in 26" would be perfect for you. That's basically what I use... a 26" Remington 1100 Skeet gun.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted 18 so someone couldnt grab it from me, just seems logical in a small house. So you think 26 would be good for screwin around out in the hills? what about chokes and all that stuff? I have now clue what would be best

·
Registered
623 Posts
The Remington 870HD retails for under $300. That is a synthetic stock, 18inch barrel and a mag extention for a total of 6 rounds in the tube. that being said, you could probably find a 26 to 30 inch barrel on ebay for under $200 shipped. WalMart can special order the 870HD.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I get custom parts at walmart? Can I order the HD with custom stuff on it?

If not where is a good place to pick up some custom stuff for the 870?

·
Banned
473 Posts
If he's close enough to take it away from you, 8" don't matter much and you had better go to plan B. Also, don't let someone shove that short bbl under your face so you end up blowing your own head off. Bottom line, 18" is great for a firefight in a phone booth and not much else. It's your decision. Don't let my 31 years of LE sway you.

As to Walmart... they will only order what they list for sale on their site, no special orders. Go to walmart.com and see what they offer. If it's not on their website, they won't order it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got off the phone with walmart and they dont carry the HD and cant special order it.

What do I need to modifly to make the 870 a HD? Should I get the 870 26 inch then just buy a 18 inch barrel? What else needs to be modified to make it HD? Here is one im looking at but its only 23 inch, would this be a good choice?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3170052

I know if the barrel is shorter someone could stick it under your head and shoot you with it. But I still think it is more maneurable around a house. It's just a personal preference of mine so im pretty fixed on the 18 inch for home use.

·
Registered
623 Posts
an 18 inch barrel is really only good for a little better manuevering in the house and most of all easy storage, short ****** fits easier under the bed than a long ******. Just buy a gun the way you think you will use it the most and if that is trap shooting then get a long barrel and changable chokes, have a cylider bore choke for home defence. If you really want, a mag extention isnt very expensive either.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I put a MODIFIED choke on my 18 in 870 express HD because a cyl bore is no fun to shoot at anything except at point blank ranges. link below: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=63529

I managed to hit 15 out of 25 on the trap range with it. if I tried real hard I think I could do 18, but the shorty bbl is a lot harder to get a bead on the moving bird.

the home defense model does have the advantage of having a factory installed magazine extension. if you put your own on a regular express, you will have to press out some manufactured spring holding dimples at the end of the original mag tube.

otherwise an new 18 inch barrel is easy to come by on ebay.

26 inch is a fun barrel that can aim out to decent distances.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just bought an 870 Youth model in 20GA for my mom to use as a home defense gun. It's got a 13.5" length of pull and 21" barrel. I'm currently using it for my winter skeet league to break it in before she relies on it for defense.

It's a great little gun for both purposes out of the box.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I bought a remington 870 express 12/26 super mag today. It was $268.00 but they took 20% of of that being a total of $214.00. The reason being discounted is because it was sent in for repair for not ejecting the shells but was fixed. Do you think this was a good choice and a good deal?

How much is a exteended mag and a 18 inch barrel? Where should I buy?

I live in a trailor what shells should I use along with choke for Home Defence?

Are the exteened mag a good choice for clay shooting and HD? If not explain why.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I see plenty of new express 18 in bbls on ebay. there are 3 or 4 major sources for mag extensions as well. I'd keep the standard spring and cap to switch back for sporting purposes since it looks more proper at the trap range or when hunting. that said, I do have a good used remington style 2 shot extension I would trade you for your original cap, spring, and "duck plug".

don't even get started about ammo selection. we dont have brick houses out here in earthquake land so shot angle and awareness is important...or don't miss. there are specialty law enforcement buckshots that don't spread too much.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for all the questions but is the pistol grip caolseable stock good for just about everything?

Also are there stock parts I should consider replacing in the stock 870 that arent very durable?

·
Registered
623 Posts
a collapsible butt stock is not good for everything. They normally dont have a pad and can get very uncomfortable to use. They are meant for easy storage and short use (few rounds fired in a session). As far as parts to replace, the gun is new right? Then dont worry about anything, if you keep it clean and oiled it will out live you by a long shot(pun intended).
Now its a super mag? That can handle 2.75, 3 and 3.5 inch 12 gauge shells with that barrel, if you get a diferent barrel that isnt a super mag it will only handle up to 3 inch shells, so be careful!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks that helped, so the "super mag" part just means the type of barrel and thats it? So If I get an extended mag it wont effect the super mag? I could still use 3 different size shells?

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I just have to ask:

1. Why would you buy a gun for home defense after it has already had issues with operating correctly?

2. Shouldn't you have asked all these other questions BEFORE you bought the gun?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im not gonna mod it right now for HD. They said they repaired it, and wouldnt of sold it if it didnt work. It had something to do with "ejection" . Also there is a good as new warranty on it so im going to work it in to make sure there is nothing wrong with it, if so im going to take it back. simple as that.

I knew I wanted a 870 express and I figured out what length and size barrel "12/26" I wanted as well. Before I special ordered, I called every walmart around town to see if they had it in stock. Only one store did. They had the super mag, I did ask the clerk at the store what super mag was and he did explain it was that it held 2 3/4 , 3, 1/2 , shells, but I didnt ask actually ask what part of the SH was the "super mag" . It sounded good to me so I went ahead and bought it for $214.00 I thought the price sounded good as long as it was as they say it was. But who's to know until I test it out right? I know its a 50/50 chance and it might be a cheap part if there is something wrong. If thats the case I might take it into my own hands and repair it myself, then I will get to know the gun even more by taking it apart and learning the guts of it and yes I will research to learn how to do that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts