Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Both are really good guns and i dont think it would be a bad choice to pick one over the other. I have never heard any bad things about either one of them. For the price i really dont think either one of them will be bad but i dont really know witch one shots better. I have buddies that shot both and i have never heard anything bad. So good luke

·
Registered
255 Posts
Click "Search" above... type in "870 Nova." You will have many, many, many threads on this topic. Did I say many?

As I have said before (and will say again), a shotgun only shoots as well as it fits you. You're only going to dig up personal opinions on this one (mine is for the Nova).

·
Registered
227 Posts
I like them both but when the hunting is really nasty, I feel better about abusing my plastic, camo Nova. It's also a bit easier to clean in the field.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Go get both in your hands. There is a difference in the pump on the guns for sure. I would say it is personal preference that will make your decision. Both guns will get the job done.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I have owned both in the past... I'll take the Nova for my money over the 870 Express.

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMO, they're both good quality guns, but the nova definitely kicks more, especially with waterfowl loads

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own both and they are both very reliable guns. My suggestion is go see which one fits you the best. That will be the best choice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just something to keep in mind, the 870 is considerably heavier so it kicks less but if you don't want to carry around the extra couple of pounds the Nova might be a better choice. I shoot an 870 and I've had no problems with it. I think the best thing to do is to shoulder both guns and decide from that.

Just curious, why are you only considering an 870 or Nova. The 1300, BPS, Ithaca pumps and even the mossbergs are all great guns IMO. (It's pretty hard to screw up a pump gun)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have both ... I like both.

Decide on what matters to you and make a decision. The $$ is a little different. The 24" camo Nova is around $370. The 870 SPS-T is around $550 but the camo Express is less.

Both are excellent guns.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would take a Nova for sure. Mine has stood up to 2 seasons of the roughest conditions that Newfoundland can throw at it. Salt water, rain, mud, it has been run over by ATV and I dropped it in a pond one evening and had to wait till morning to find it. 5000 rounds later it still looks and works like new. Benelli sure knows how to make a fine gun!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Once you get used the the Nova...it's a bit of a strange beast truly but with it's amazing simple take down and robust build it really feels like a shooting 'tool'. There's nothing pretty about this shotgun but after you fire a few boxes shells with it, you'll see my point.
I've owned an older 12 ga Italian Breda for many years, but the Nova will become my hunting 'tool'.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
My knock on the Nova is the safety placement. I can't stand a front of the trigger guard safety. My persoanl opinion is the Mossberg is the pump gun for me. I like the thumb safety much more. But I bet you could find a good used 870 or Nova and get the one that feels the best to you.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Buy the Stoeger P-350. It's just the 3.5" Nova with a different brand stamped on it and for 50 to 100 bucks less depending on the store! It'll even accept the in-the-stock mercury filled recoil reducer Benelli makes for the Nova.

-Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just bought a new Benelli Nova in camo last week for $369 at Sportsman Warehouse in Utah. Also, from Walmart, purchased a new 870 Express 3 1/2" Super Mag in camo for $299 and another plain 870 Express with laminated stock for $238 from Walmart.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I sure would not say anything bad about the 870, it is a well proven gun. However if you are still in the market I would take a serious look at the new super nova. I have not had one in hand but the benelli.usa new product tour page sure got my attention.
Regg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts