Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hope you're having a good Saturday. Well I bought a new Remington 870 Police the other night, the 18.5" barrel model, 4+1 parkerized, IC bore, bead sight, and wood furniture:

I've been wanting a basic police shotgun for some time. So I did some research, and some have said that the new production Remington 870 Police guns are not as good as the old ones. They say they are hardly better than the Express models now.

So are they still better than the Express models? Do they still do the extra QC steps for the Police guns, and use better parts in them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I just spent the day helping out at an introductory defensive shotgun class and was able to look at and handle a handful of these models.

They looked very much like an Express though the actions generally seemed a bit smoother than the Expresses I used to own. Whether that was due to some added care at the factory or if it had something to do with how much the guns had been used before the class I cannot say.

A second difference, I think, is the one gun had a magazine extension on it which seemed to work fine. The last time I looked, the Express had a dimple on the magazine which prevented a mag extension from being used. The owner of this particular 870 did not seem to be the type of person who could figure out how to work around the dimple so I'm guessing it came from the factory able to use accessories.

All in all I think they may be decent guns but not what I would buy. If I were to outfit myself with a pump shotgun for this use, I would probably keep my eyes open for an old, plain barrel, Full choked 870 Wingmaster which can still be found for well under $200 with some looking and waiting. I would then cut down the barrel to 18" and have a bead added by a gunsmith. You could probably do all of this for under $100 plus the cost of the shotgun. I would pick an old Wingmaster as I feel the workmanship and quality control on these guns was much better than on the later Express. To make a certain price, something has to give if that price point is low and it is often the finer finishing that first gets axed. This finishing is also what makes the gun easier and smoother to use which is often important.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.