Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First post, and I'm a bit of a lurker here, and decided to seek some opinions. I fairly recently bought a new, custom built 870 tactical, and put about 200 rounds through it so far. She fires great! I broke it down the other day for a thorough cleaning and noticed a groove worn in the receiver in front of the ejector port. I was told that this is a "character mark" and it was caused by me torquing on the pump. I'm new to shotguns and was wondering what other takes are. I trust my builder, but has anyone else has seen anything like this before? I couldn't find any info about shotgun character marks on the interwebs... I was told that it's ok, and to clean it off, and cover it with some paint and to focus on pumping the action straight back. Here's some pics:

I do like this weapon a lot, but this has me a bit unnerved.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
Where that is, it looks to me like your extractor is protruding and hitting the receiver. I notice my 1976 Wingmaster does not have it, and I don't recall any of my other 5 having it either.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just looked at a few in my safe. 2 that I looked at do not have anything like that. Three have some marking there, though perhaps not quite as pronounced as yours. Two others seem to have been milled there by Remington to prevent that from happening (I did not take them apart to really look close) I think that Virginian is right in that it is the extractor is hitting the receiver. I do not think that how you are pumping has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The two action bars on a 870 should/will prevent the bolt from "twisting" when pumped, that's why Remington uses two rather then just one.
Your ejector is the problem and I would have it fixed if it were me.
My 35 year old Wingmaster 870 does not have the problem, nor any other 870 I can remember of. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
There was a thread on this not long ago. It seems when you replace the MIM extractor with ths forged one if you don't file it down you get a little wear. It's not going to harm anything. However I'm assuming since it's an AI&P gun you dropped some $$$ on it. Maybe you should have them fix it. or just spend a minute with a file.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Yes, I found the the other thread, thanks to blehmbo: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=188418

My gun does have the forged extractor in it. Interesting. Well, I dont know if there's any sense in filing it, when the extractor seems to be filing the receiver making room for itself anyway... LOL

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
My 1976 870TB has that mark.

I bought it new in Dec. 1976 and after a month or so of steady, weekly trapshooting, I noticed the mark.

I compared the extractor from the 870TB to another and found, in my cse, it was like they "forgot" to complete the final contour of the outer surface of the extractor. (Even Dupont era guns, made WAY back in the "good old days" had some issues, once and a while.)

I carefully worked on the 870TB extractor (out of the bolt), with a knife sharpening stone until the contours exactly matched the sample I had.

That stopped the propagation of the mark. It remains about like yours in the picture. I put 75,000+ rounds through it with the mark in the receiver, without any problems. I still have the gun, today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to resurrect the dead post, but I just wanted to update. I decided I wanted to keep my builder appraised of what I was experiencing and learned, and after a bit of hemming and hawing, he had me send my bolt and slide to him for inspection. He confirmed that the extractor is the issue, and that it has been machined incorrectly. He said it was missing a beveled edge. He also inspected the other 870's in his shop and said he found 3 other extractors that appear to have the same issue. He's replacing my extractor with one that sits more flush with the bolt. However, I still have a receiver with a gouge in it. I suppose it wont hurt anything, and I can just cover it up with some paint.

Although there was probably no REAL functionality issues, I always felt that there was a bit of a hitch in the action when the bolt came into the receiver. Hopefully this will clear it up a bit.

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
Of course it can. First make sure it isn't made too small and can wiggle a lot from side to side, or that there is too much metal left of the back side and that is what is holding it out. Then, you mark what is exposed with a Sharpie. Pop it out of the bolt, clamp it in a vise, and a few swipes with a flat file should take the outside down to the profile it ought to have. You have to do it with every new extractor for it to fit correctly. After you get it out pull the plunger and spring too, and then you can test fit as you go easily. You can also use a Dremel to remove the metal, and to put a little polish on the final result if you know what you are about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.