Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 870 that shoots left, about 4 inches at 13 yards no matter what barrel I put in it. When I mount it the beads line up perfectly so I was thinking maybe something in how the barrel mates to the receiver would be causing it. Sadly I don't have another 870 to try out but am looking for somebody local with one to see if it's the same with his but I would want to move the stock and barrel to really test that theory. Anyway has anybody ran into this before and if so is there a mod that can be made to the receiver to alter the barrel fit?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had others shoot it as well, some are more and some less but all all left. I just figured with multiple people and multiple barrels it might be something off center in the receiver. Bummer :(

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Do all the barrels slide onto the mag tube and into the receiver easily or do you have to 'force' the barrels into the receiver?

Multiple barrels shooting left does not make sense. What happens if you shoot your barrels on a different 870?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They all go on easy and until the cap is tightened down you can wiggle them, it's an older receiver from the 70s I think. I'm trying to find another 870 to use as a test but no luck so far. I think that is the next test I have to do both with and without my stock. I was just hoping somebody else had run into it before.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
mjtripper said:
They all go on easy and until the cap is tightened down you can wiggle them, it's an older receiver from the 70s I think. I'm trying to find another 870 to use as a test but no luck so far. I think that is the next test I have to do both with and without my stock. I was just hoping somebody else had run into it before.
Yes, I have, I had to bend the barrel like I said.

My advice, sell the gun.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I just went through a similar situation...

bought a used step rib trap barrel, that came with set up for choke tubes.

it shot quite a bit to the right. on closer inspection the muzzle was a lot thinner on the right side than the left.... looks like choke tube pocket not cut true square to the bore.

so while testing this I decided to test 5 30" old school fixed choke barrels I have accumulated over the years.

All five shot true as far a right and left go, but....

1 shot about 40 high 60 low at best probably a little lower than that.... explains why had to cover bird with barrel... and why I missed so many that should have been deader than a doornail. Probably no good options for correcting this one. or at least no economical ones.

3 shot pretty close to 50 50 to 60-40

1 shot probably 80 20- I had not used this one at all, but it makes me ponder about seeing how I shoot it floating the bird a little.

I generally shoot best with something in about that 60 - 40 range more or less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.