Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of tool is needed to remove the nut that holds the forearm in place????just bought a 410 and do not like the fake dark walnut finish it comes off with your thumb nail I want to do an oil finish......any help ????

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
david12601 said:
what kind of tool is needed to remove the nut that holds the forearm in place????just bought a 410 and do not like the fake dark walnut finish it comes off with your thumb nail I want to do an oil finish......any help ????
Brownell's has it.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm guessing the 410 magazine tube and nut needed a much smaller sacrificial socket size- the 12 gauge needed a 15/16 to have just the right outer diameter.

glad I could help..no need to let good ideas stay in the tactical forum..those boys have a tendency to buy weird add ons for the forgrip and had a lot of ideas.

·
Registered
143 Posts
8)
Mike100 has a great idea, but I think I went one better. I used a piece of 1 in. diameter metal pipe. Cut away each side (looks like Mike's tool) with a metal cutting bandsaw. (but hack-saw would do if you're not in a hurry) AND - I didn't ruin a socket. My "home-made" tool worked perfectly and didn't cost anything.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Nice job on the pipe.

It was only a crafstman socket...and I may or may not have picked it up from a surplus tool assortment at work :wink: I couldn't find a made in china one.

but jeeze. anything is better than paying $20-$50 for a special tool unless you are a high volume gunsmith.

·
Registered
500 Posts
deadapair said:
Brownell's has it.
I was going to ask the sizes, but they're on the website...

Separate 12, and 20 gauge wrenches fit Remington 870, Browning BPS, Ithaca 37 made since 1981, Mossberg 500, Winchester 1200/1300.

SPECS: Steel, black oxide finish. 12 ga. - 6" (15.2cm) long. Large End - 1.32" (3.3cm) outside diameter. Small End- 1.2" (3cm) outside diameter. 20 ga. - 6" (15.2cm) long. Large End - 1.3" (3.2 cm) outside diameter. Small End - 1.1" (2.7cm) outside diameter.

==========================

Now, if we had calipers and some sockets...

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
I just use a piece of flat bar stock. I ground down the sides slightly so it was not wider than the nut. Put a Crescent wrench on it and turn. I also made a smaller one for my Remington 760 pump rifle.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
15-20 minutes. Cut about 20 slits vertically with cutoff wheel then ground down about 70% with carbide grinding tip on an air grinder. filed the rest flat with a sharp rasp file for steel.

I think I did it during half time one sunday during a football game.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.