Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time 870 user, about to jump...
Q#1> Can anyone please give me a fair [critical] comparison on 870 vs Nova, vs Supernova?
ie: recoil, action smoothness, reliability...
Q#2> I am a big guy, and like a 14¾" LOP, so is there a selection of recoil pads to adjust the LOP?

I appreciate in advance for your input...
Kody

·
Registered
129 Posts
benelli is alot smoother pumping. the weight is about the same if not exactly. the recoil on the 870 and nova to me is the same. the super nova about half the recoil. benelli makes a great reliable gun. ive hunted with mine for years. hope that answers your question. i have alot of friends with 870s and novas i cant say anything bad about either one. i just like the nova better. mines never jammed on me.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Can anyone please give me a fair [critical] comparison on 870 vs Nova, vs Supernova?
ie: recoil, action smoothness, reliability...

Don't you think the veiws here in the I love Benelli forum might be slanted a little?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have shot the newest verisons of the benellis and a 870 express. The difference is night and day. Although the Benellis are a bit heavier they fell better made. Shooting is again very different. The 870 feels like a $200 gun. Cheap wood (slippery when wet) and grinding action. The benellis feel much more expensive than there price tag says. Smooth and purpose built. THey are not ment to feel like one of the Benelli semis, it is ment to feel and work like a pump shotgun. The composite stock feels good, but the all black guns do not cool down very fast! Now the dif between the nova and super nova is HUGE! Worth $200, YES! The comfortech does wonders for this fixed bolt gun.

Bottom line: If the Benelli fits you, it is a much better buy, and if you can afford it, get the Supernova!

BTW: a drawback of the nova vs the 870 is the size of the youth version. the youth version 870 is much better to fit most smaller shooters than the nova. The nova is jsut to long and requires more arm strenght that is just not there in most children and small women shooters!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx, guys, for your replies...
You're correct... I popped for the Nova in 20ga/black... I am absolutly convinced the Benelli is worth double the $299 that I paid... As I only shoot skeet, It seemed a little fast on the swing, so I added a roll of pennys in place of the mag plug... Perfect! Nichols work nice in 12ga, and the sweet part is, you can adjust the balance, and ya got change for coffee :) ...
I shot a couple-a-rounds of skeet this am, and got 49/50... Darn #2-high :(

I guess I had my mind already made up B4 I posted this Q, but I needed to see how Benelli fans felt...

Thx, again for your input...
Kody

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I have a Winchester 1400 and a Stoeger Condor O/U and am also looking to add a good late season goose gun. Has anyone here used their Nova for geese and, if so, did the 28" barrel pose any issue/did you wish for a 30" barrel?

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I have a Winchester 1400 and a Stoeger Condor O/U and am also looking to add a good late season goose gun. Has anyone here used their Nova for geese and, if so, did the 28" barrel pose any issue (i.e. did you wish for a 30" barrel)?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mr_Mac,

I have hunted geese with my Super Nova with a 26 inch barrel and never had a issue with it. I hunt a lot out of lay out blinds and if that helps. This year I have shot mostly a 10 gauge, with my M2 filling in for trips where I do not want to pack in the monster. The Nova is now a back up gun more then anything, but I would not hesitate to take it into the field just for the joy of shooting it again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before I start, let me say that I grew up shooting Remingtons...shotguns & rifles.

I Recently had a chance to shoot a Supernova and 870. In the last month I bought a new 870, my friend bought the Supernova. We went out for a round of skeet and traded back and forth to get a feel for them both.

The slim profile of the 870 felt more comfortable it was only because it was the same as most other rifles/shotguns I've shot in the past. However, the 870 failed four times for me and twice for my friend. Each time the action locked and would not allow us to eject the spent shell...follow-up shots were not possible.

The Benelli felt a little bulky at first. However, it never failed, cycled shells smooth as silk, and felt recoil was definitely less.

I'm also not pleased that Remington has not caught on to the basic fact that the drop of a shotgun is the most important factor in consistent hits. The drop of the Remington is just shy for me (it fit my friend fine). I have tried to find shim kits that would allow me to adjust the drop for the Remington - no luck.

The Supernova comes with a shim kit so adjusting the drop (and cast) is a snap. It also has a number of other nice features such as a choke kit (standard) and an adjustable comb kit (accessory).

I'm trying to get a refund for my 870....I'm buying a Supernova!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts